The Rydell Gang's CFA Shindig

Since its debut on Broadway in 1972, Grease has rocked the stage with its provocative material and playful, energetic dance and musicality.

Thursday evening at the CFA, the popular story graced the stage with a comedic, high-energy student performance. The performers' smooth, blazing vocals and vivacious dancing resulted in an opening night that will make local fans of the classic story happy.

The incredible singing ability of the majority of the cast received much applause, as high notes were continuously belted out with precision and clarity. The vocal talent had more of a professional feel than what's typically expected.

"The cast and crew did a really fantastic job on it," said Brian Fiscus, a sophomore architecture major. "It was really lively and energizing. I was on my feet the entire time."

Another element that added to the professional sound of the performance was the instrumentals, which resonated from the orchestra that sat between the audience and the stage. They accompanied the ensemble - led by UB's Music Director, Nancy Townsend - with their high soaring vocals.

The choreography of the entire production was also very precise. When the cast came out to perform "We Go Together," a song that ended both acts, the synchronicity and timing of these scenes wowed the audience and left the theatre buzzing.

"I especially liked when they sang the finale," said David Turner, a senior biology major. "The whole cast coming together and singing and dancing was a lot of fun."

Kenickie's car, "Grease Lightning," entered the stage in Flintstone fashion by a cast of leather-jacket wearing bad boys, who spun it playfully. These actors continued the antics by singing the famous song that praises the car's ability to attract women as laughter erupted from the audience.

Laughter accompanied the car in later scenes, but at this point it was used more as a prop than a vehicle.

"I was kind of hoping they would have had the car redone the second time they brought it on stage," said Nancy Cunningham, 22, of Ontario, Canada. "That was a little bit sad, but it was still awesome."

One of the more disappointing parts of the production was the unbelievable metamorphosis of Sandy. In the second to last scene, where the song "All Choked Up" was performed, Sandy came out onto the stage smoking a cigarette in a risqu?(c) outfit. The transformation was taken too far, as Sandy, played by senior music theatre major Emily Croft, was depicted more like an ornery, indifferent runway model than an exploratory teenager with a change of heart.

While the camaraderie between the guys seemed slightly generic throughout the play, the girls' dialogue and interactions were fantastic. The infamous pajama party scene where the pink ladies introduce Sandy to their mischief is the most apparent indicator. The ladies' acting and interplay in this scene were both superb.

Sophomore music theatre major Gabrielle Gorman was the highlight of the show with her portrayal of Rizzo. Gorman executed the hardened, cynical Rizzo to perfection while still adding her own personal flavor to the role.

The funniest and most believable couple on stage was unexpectedly comprised of two supporting roles, Roger and Jan, played by sophomore theatre majors Zachery Snyder and Emily Nelkin. The quirky and playful way they accentuated their dialogue was hysterical. They fully embraced this style during their performance of the song, "Mooning," where they sang a giddy, provocative duet.

"I really enjoyed this scene," Fiscus said. "It was funny how they were flirting and having a great time."

The show will be back at the CFA with the Rydell gang and company from April 26-29.