Let Lady Gaga Help You Shed the Pounds

Fat season is officially here. With all the Halloween candy, Thanksgiving gravy, and Christmas cookies, counting calories is impossible. The best way to stay in shape isn't to just go to the gym, it's to rock out while you're there.

As important as stretching and hydration are, workout playlists are just as essential to help sculpt the body of a Greek god that everyone hopes to attain. Although no one has exactly the same taste, there is some music that just gets people pumped. There is a reason the same songs get played over and over at sporting events.

What does make good workout music, though? Sure, it's a matter of preference but it'd be kind of psychotic for someone to get their blood flowing by listening to slow ballads.

Let's do first things first though. It's obvious, but I need to point out that the best song to work out to is by far "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga…and nothing really even comes close. Even the toughest metal-heads and the GTLer's at Alumni Arena can agree that the best muscle to exercise while listening to "Bad Romance" isn't your biceps or pectorals, but your gluteus maximus.

Lady Gaga definitely isn't the most masculine music; in fact I always lower the volume because, to be honest, I'm kind of afraid someone will hear her through my headphones. "Bad Romance" isn't the only single by the hit machine that is Lady Gaga to get someone going. The almost techno beat and soaring vocals to "Born This Way" and "Poker Face" are incredibly exhilarating.

The key to a solid workout playlist is variety. It's unhealthy to spend too much time in the gym so make a nice long playlist and shuffle that baby like crazy. It's amazing how well Jay-Z fits in next to Metallica when you're pushing through those last few minutes on the treadmill.

Speaking of Jay-Z, hip-hop is an excellent motivation tool for anyone trying to get into shape. A good beat is easy to move with and rap lyrics don't tolerate any weakness. It's like having your own personal Eminem scream into your ear to put up a few more bench presses.

I can only speak for myself here, but hip-hop also gets the testosterone pumping. Testosterone leads to aggression and, as good as he is, who would you rather take a swing at than that puny little white boy Mac Miller? (Full disclosure: this article is being written by a puny little white boy.)

R. Kelly is also a hugely underrated artist for the sake of working out. The R&B crooner is definitely creepy, but Kells is also surprisingly inspiring. I swear I burn an extra 500 calories every time "I Believe I Can Fly" or "Ignition" comes on.

There's too much other great hip-hop to mention, but by no means is it the only motivating music. Hard rock and punk intertwine surprisingly well with acts like Biggie and underground bangers such as Freddie Gibbs. I'm getting fired up just writing about this stuff.

Andrew W.K. is a name most people may not recognize, but his songs are incredibly popular. Every song is a wall of metal that's impossible to not head bang along to. Even jazz fans will be psyched when they hear "Party Hard" or "She Is Beautiful."

Classics like "Juicy" and "Enter Sandman" still do the trick, but anyone looking for that extra burn that'll have them sore for a few days needs to find their own pick that will surprise them every time. My recommendation is "Brothersport" by Animal Collective. It's a bouncy track that speeds up and slows down, ideal for a set of pull downs.

Remember, there's no reason to feel guilty about pouring on the extra gravy as long as you have that playlist designed to held shed the pounds. Hopefully a few well-picked songs will be the motivation to get off the couch. I bet Hercules probably listened to "Big Pimpin'."

Email: jstone5@buffalo.edu