Sunday, April 28, 2024

The Baby in the Bones

The socially awkward anthropologist and the FBI agent with a hero complex are partnered up again to take down the D.C. area's most devious murders. This time around, Bones (Emily Deschanel, The Perfect Family) and Booth (David Boreanaz, The Mighty Macs) are upping the stakes of their partnership.

With the Booth vs. Broadsky (Arnold Vosloo, Green Lantern: Emerald Knights) dueling snipers arc all but wrapped up, the Jeffersonian team is without a classic enemy to pursue for the start of Bones' seventh season. Instead, the focus is turned inwards as a new set of team dynamics is at play.

Dechanel's real-life pregnancy left producer Hart Hanson with little choice but to accelerate the Bones/Booth relationship and propel it into realms that have long been relegated to fan fiction. In a grief-stricken moment after the death of squintern Vincent Nigel-Murray (Ryan Cartwright, Alphas), Booth and Brennan strip free their inhibitions and six seasons worth of sexual tension is released – before long Bones winds up carrying what will undoubtedly be a very peculiar child.

Boneshas built a cast of characters more riveting and complex than the murder cases the team solves. With pasts that unravel episode by episode, the intricate relationships forged onscreen keep fans coming back year after year. The dichotomy between Booth and Bones has never been more pronounced as they try not only to cohabitate, but also plan a life together that fits between two worldviews that clash in the spheres of science and faith, logic and intuition.

Fans may have noticed that last week's premiere felt empty in terms of casting. That missing link is the person who is meant to replace the recipient of Broadsky's intensely accurate bullet. The quirky and heavily accented trivia tidbits of the late Nigel-Murray are soon replaced by the southern colloquialisms of Finn Abernathy (Luke Kleintank, Gossip Girl).

As usual, nothing can ever be easy for the crime fighting scientists, and Cam has picked one of the most controversial interns since the days of Zach Addy's (Eric Millegan, The Phobic) departure.

Fresh out of juvie, Abernathy is a mild-mannered teenage genius whose mind will surly impress Dr. Brennan. His violent background, though, set the others on edge, and the rest of the cast worries that the very type of person they devote their time to capturing may be soiling their home turf.

Although Bones airs in the competitive 9 p.m. Thursday slot, Fox needn't worry about losing viewers as the show enters middle age.