Bulls to Watch: Mitchell Watt

Senior forward Mitchell Watt was a fan favorite last year, and his popularity prompted the nickname "Swatt." The moniker is much more than just a pun, however.

Watt was an imposing force in the lane, constantly rejecting opposing threats. His 74 blocks were the second-most in the conference – more than the combined team total for 42 different Division-I schools. Watt's total also broke the 16-year UB record for most in school history.

But the towering statistic doesn't completely describe Watt, as he was also a human highlight reel.

Watt totaled a career-high eight blocks in his signature game against Kent State. He stepped into the national spotlight with his final block, when he swatted a layup that led to a fast break.

Watt punctuated the opportunity with a two-handed dunk. The forward's big play landed him a spot in the Jan. 20 edition of Sportscenter's Top 10.

The Goodyear, Ariz. native is sharp in many other aspects of the game, as well. His 179 rebounds for the season were second only to sophomore forward Javon McCrea. Watt also scored eight points per game, with 13 double-digit performances.

Watt is far from satisfied by his recent accomplishments. He is well aware of the physicality his position demands, and Watt has been working all summer to meet those demands.

Watt has been working diligently with the team's strength coaches for the past few months. After going on a new diet and putting in extra time at the weight room, Mr. "Swatt" has put on 20 pounds of mass to multiply his threat in the post.

The senior thought bulking up was the next step necessary to elevate his game.

"I've always thought that I was a pretty skilled big man," Watt said. "But the last couple of seasons showed that I needed to be a little more powerful, so I really took that to heart this summer."

Watt looks like he's going to be at his peak this year with his increased physique and the hype surrounding the Bulls.

"I'm glad I'm doing it with this group of guys and obviously we're really talented and skilled this year," Watt said. "I think we can do a lot of big things. As a senior, you want to go out on top and have the most success your last year."