Bulls to Watch: Jarod Oldham

This men's basketball squad appears to be rock solid from top to bottom, but onlookers still don't know what they can expect from perhaps the most important position on the floor: point guard.

All-conference point guard Byron Mulkey is gone. Much like how the women's basketball team is reeling from the loss of Kourtney Brown, the men's team will miss Mulkey.

Unfortunately, the star is now a UB basketball alumnus. Jarod Oldham is on a mission to ensure that the team's point guard play doesn't drop off from last season.

The sophomore guard saw his minutes increase last year, when the young freshman was called in to provide defensive intensity and a spark off the bench. By the Bulls' Mid-American Conference tournament loss to Kent State, Oldham was getting huge minutes. He was one of the most athletic players on the court, but he still lacked veteran poise.

This year, he looks to prove to his squad that he can be the leader, the coach on the court, the modern-day Mulkey.

Mulkey finished second on the team in scoring and first in minutes and assists, but his biggest contributions went far beyond the stat sheet. He was the go-to guy whenever the team needed a big shot. He guarded the opponent's best player on any crucial possession. He would slap the floor and yell to inspire his teammates, and he carried himself with unmatched fervor.

"Byron was very determined every night he stepped on the court," Oldham said. "That's something I will take from him and try to apply to my game, as well."

The job of replacing Mulkey falls into the hands of Oldham and junior guard Tony Watson II. The two combined to average only 3.8 points per game last year. Watson is more of a "floor general" type player who provides range from beyond the arc, while Oldham is the more athletic, defensive-minded of the two.

Oldham knows he needs to play tremendous basketball if he plans on escaping Mulkey's shadow, but he isn't cringing.

"It's a challenge. I know a lot of people are wondering how we're going to do it without Byron being back," Mulkey said. "I've got big shoes to fill but I'm looking forward to the challenge."

Watson is still recovering from surgery, so he is expected to miss the first two games. Outside of Watson, Oldham is the only true point guard on the team. He will immediately face a gigantic challenge.

His first goal? Jumping out to an early start.

"I want to get our guys going early so they get their feel for the game so it'll make it easier for me," Oldham said.

He'll try to jump out to that start right away on Friday night.