"Basketball Team, True Blue Get Fans Ready for Upcoming Season"

It may only be the first week of October, but True Blue – the society of die-hard Bulls fans – was in the Student Union in an early attempt to generate fan support for the men's basketball team.

The Union was clad in blue on Tuesday, as True Blue handed out fliers for Bulls Madness.

True Blue was joined in its effort by some of the campus' most popular students – the members of the men's basketball team.

"We like seeing the students and being out here having fun with them," said junior guard Tony Watson. "We want to get involved in what's happening on campus."

True Blue and the basketball squad were also on a united mission: 1,000 signatures on a petition. The appeal is a request to UB Athletics to expand the student section into sections 111 and 112 of Alumni Arena in order to garner more room for student-fans.

True Blue President Kelsey Burglund said her organization and its initiative received an insurmountable boost when members of the team joined the cause.

"It's awesome, because the players want this too, and it shows the connection we have with them," Burglund said. "It's great because this is a great time to meet them, so people can put a face to the name."

Bulls Madness is UB's version of "Midnight Madness," a popular phenomenon on college campuses that is the unofficial kickoff for the basketball season. Fans can meet the players and watch a three-point and dunk contest, among other things, at this year's event.

The basketball team is confident that fans won't be disappointed if they go out to support it this year.

"You're definitely going to see a better team from last year," Watson said. "We bring back the majority of our team, we're more confident, and we'll be more exciting for fans."

The squad returns nationally-acclaimed sophomore forward Javon McCrea and senior guard Zach Filzen, who was one of the best three-point shooters in the country last year.

Filzen said the team lacked energy at times last season because there weren't enough fans to support the team at home games.

"It's a little bit of a drag," Filzen said. "We love playing in front of a lot of people, in front of rowdy crowds. We know we have to be successful for a lot of people to come out, so that's our goal this year."

Still, student-fan support increased over the course of last year, and the team hopes to continue that trend this year.

This year's Bulls Madness is scheduled for Oct.15 at 10 p.m. The basketball team will begin its season at Alumni Arena against Saint Peter's on Friday, Nov. 11 at 7 p.m.