New Safety Rules Injure the Game

The NFL found one of the best ways possible to announce the new safety rules in place for 2011: an NFL Films description video hosted by the amiable former Tennessee Titans' head coach Jeff Fisher. Despite the league's best efforts, I still found myself with a bad taste in my mouth after watching this 12-minute clip.

The video, which can be found on the NFL Health and Safety site, talks about the new kickoff rule and restrictions placed to protect defenseless players. It also makes a point to mention that the rules were passed to ensure a safe and fair game.

I scurried through Webster's Dictionary for the definition of "fair" after viewing the clip, and it's safe to say that they missed the target.

The changes make sense following the new union agreement, but they impact the game negatively as they benefit some players while putting others at a great disadvantage.

The kickoff rule sticks out the most in the new rule set because it affects a potentially game-changing moment. The NFL decided to move the kickoff to the 35-yard line because of the plays' high-risk of injury.

The effects of that rule were already apparent during the preseason. There have been 44 touchbacks out of 150 kickoffs, 18 more than last year's exhibition season. I don't think that getting possession of the ball in such a dull fashion is a good trade-off for the mere possibility of preventing injuries.

And what about the return specialists? Players like Devin Hester and Joshua Cribbs built their careers off of terrorizing opposing special teams, and the rule just makes it that much harder for them. Sure, you can argue that they shouldn't be such one-dimensional players, but boasting a special teams weapon with game-changing talent makes the game that much more exciting.

The defensive players are in the same boat. They also seem to be left out of the new rule set's consideration because it aims to protect "defenseless" players, specifically wide receivers. The defenseless are described as players who do not have time to protect themselves or are not in a running position.

Those players shouldn't even be protected given that definition. Protecting the wide receivers is the quarterback's job, not the league's. In a Cardinals' game against the Jets three years ago, Kurt Warner lofted an endzone pass to Anquan Boldin when he was in between two defensive backs. The two defenders slammed into Boldin as he attempted to catch the ball, and Boldin was carried out of the stadium on a stretcher because he literally had a broken face.

The defensive backs weren't at fault, even though it was a helmet-to-helmet hit. It was Warner's high pass that left him subject to injury. But according to the NFL, the quarterbacks shouldn't be held accountable for protecting their own teammates.

No, the defense has to hold back from doing its job in order to protect the other team.

Some of the new restrictions that were passed in recent years are a step in the right direction, however.

The concussion guidelines concerning when a player can return after receiving a head injury are an excellent precaution. Also, the NFL's policy on helmet-to-helmet hits is effective without being detrimental.

The key aspect of both rules is they target the player, not the game. If the NFL can follow that direction, player safety can be assured while preserving the excitement of the game.

Email: brian.josephs@ubspectrum.com