Top Albums From Summer 2011

This summer lacked the big name album releases that generally populate your vacation, but that doesn't mean that there weren't albums that blew people away. From indie to hip-hop, numerous albums deserved the attention but lacked the publicity to get on the radio. Here are the top 10 albums of the summer.

Artist: Frank Turner

Album: England Keep My Bones

Release Date: June 7

Label: Epitaph

Acoustic guitar, history, and sentimental lyrics — these things are all prevalent on Frank Turner's fourth studio album, England Keep My Bones. From the haunting opening track "Eulogy" to the agnostic closer "Glory Hallelujah," Turner continues to add to an already stellar discography.

Check out: "Peggy Sang the Blues," "I Am Disappeared"

Artist: The Wonder Years

Album: Suburbia I've Given You All And Now I'm Nothing

Release Date: June 14

Label: Hopeless

Pop-punk has changed drastically since its heyday, but apparently nobody told that to The Wonder Years. Suburbia unleashes the angst of growing up in the suburbs and the confusing challenges of leaving it behind. What separates Suburbia from countless other teen angst albums is the imagery created by vocalist Dan Campbell, which cuts the listener straight to the bone.

Check out: "Local Man Ruins Everything," "Hoodie Weather"

Artist: Taking Back Sunday

Album: Taking Back Sunday

Release Date: June 28

Label: Warner Bros.

For the first time since their groundbreaking debut, Tell All Your Friends, the original members of Taking Back Sunday have reconciled and returned to the studio. The album has a clear Straylight Run (John Nolan and Shaun Cooper's side project in between their tenures) influence, which gives Taking Back Sunday some much-needed depth to what was a dwindling career.

Check out: "Money (Let it Go)" "You Got Me"

Artist: F***** Up

Album: David Comes to Life

Release Date: June 7

Label: Matador

These Canadian hardcore punkers bring to life a story of heartache and despair. The vivid lyrics depict the story of David, who attempts to find love — only to lose it again — and the pain and guilt that ensues. The heavy instrumentals only add to the emotion of main singer Pink Eyes' gut-wrenching vocals.

Check out: "Queen of Hearts," "A Slanted Tone"

Artist: Hoodie Allen

Album: Leap Year

Release Date: July 26

Label: None

Coming straight outta the ‘burbs, Hoodie Allen combines infectious beats with witty lyrics and creates one of the best hip-hop albums of the year, and all without a label. Leap Year has 13 tracks, and each is just as catchy as the last. The best part? The album can be downloaded for free on his website.

Check out: "James Franco," "Song for an Actress"

Artist: Jay-Z and Kanye West

Album: Watch The Throne

Release Date: Aug. 8

Label: Roc-a-Fella

This album got so much hype before it came out that measuring up to it all seemed impossible, but when two of the best rappers over the past decade collaborate it's hard to screw up. Kanye provides some spectacular beats and Jay-Z brings his impeccable flow to create an album that stands out from the rest.

Check out: "N***** in Paris," "Otis"

Artist: Direct Hit!

Album: Domesplitter

Release Date: Aug. 2

Label: Kind of Like Records

Direct Hit may just be an up-and-coming band, but they rock like they've been around for years. Trimming down they're free EP to just 10 high-energy, in-your-face pop-punk anthems, DH produces an album that parties as hard as it rocks. Domesplitter showcases the band's love for their music and for their fans; the only problem is its short 26-minute run time.

Check out: "Monster in the Closet," "Living Dead"

Artist: Tyler, the Creator

Album: Goblin

Release Date: May 10

Label: XL

By now, there are few people that haven't heard of Tyler, the Creator or his over-the-top hip-hop collective, Odd Future. Tyler continues to make music that will make your skin crawl, but his talent is undeniable. Goblin has the best production value of any Odd Future album and Tyler's talent only continues to grow.

Check out: "Transylvania," "Analog"

Artist: Bomb the Music Industry!

Album: Vacation

Release Date: July 26

Label: Quote Unquote Records

Bomb the Music Industry has returned with their sixth studio album, which might just be their best ever. Vacation sees BMI mature in front of the listener, with the album going against the band's previously juvenile grain. Jeff Rosenstock comes into his own as a songwriter as he writes about the struggles of trying to build a home.

Check out: "Can't Complain," "Vocal Coach"

Artist: Bon Iver

Album: Bon Iver

Release Date: June 21

Label: Jagjaguwar

After a three-year gap, Bon Iver has returned with another mesmerizing album. Their self-titled sophomore effort haunts the listener with its layered instrumentals and soul-searching lyrics. It may have not been the giant step forward that many Bon Iver fans yearned for, but Justin Vernon still manufactured one of the most beautiful albums of the summer.

Check out: "Holocene," "Calgary"