Sunday, April 28, 2024

Soundtrack to the Summer

Album: Dirty Work

Artist: All Time Low

Release Date: June 7

The Baltimore boys shed the humble beginning of Hopeless Records for the limelight of a major label, leaving fans questioning if their heroes were soon to become sellouts. Dirty Work proves there is no need to fear, as the pop-punk outfit provides its best album to date.

Although some songs border too heavily on the world of pop – "I Feel Like Dancin" for instance – they do so tongue in cheek. However, the fast-paced, concert-ready lyrics of "Time-bomb" and "Just the Way I'm Not" combined with the anthemic hooks of "Heroes" serve to set the tone of the album as a whole, breaking briefly for the sentiment and acoustics of "No Idea" and "A Daydream Away."

Album: Suburbia I've Given You All and Now I'm Nothing

Artist: The Wonder Years

Release Date: June 14

Although the band's name invokes ideas of the idyllic American past, the lyrics of Dan Campbell delve into the confusion and depression of growing up, leaving home, and trying to reconcile your present with the town you left behind. With lyrics that many twenty-somethings will find incredibly relatable, Suburbia gives fans another dose of the antidepressants they have been craving since The Upsides of early 2010.

As usual, the lyrics are sewn tightly into the life and experiences of Campbell, making some wonder how it could be anything more then a melodic autobiography. However, "Local Man Ruins Everything," "Summers in PA," and "Hoodie Weather" will give any doubter a chance to see the themes are more universal.

Album: Bad Habits

Artist: Every Avenue

Release Date: Aug 2

The third full-length album by the Michigan quintet, Bad Habits looks to build on the higher quality composition developed on Picture Perfect,while bearing less of a pop influence. The first single, "What Ever Happened to You," proves this to be the case and hopefully will set the trend for the rest of the album.

Album: All Things Bright and Beautiful

Artist: Owl City

Release Date: June 14

Adam Young is back with the electronic synthpop that powered the 2009 album Ocean Eyes and the hit single "Fireflies." However, the repetitive sound of the past is back, leaving little variety other than in the lyrics.

Album: Tha Carter IV

Artist: Lil Wayne

Release Date: Aug 22

Better late then never seems to be Weezy's new motto as his latest album was pushed back yet again, hopefully hitting stores in late August. With three singles already released, the new record features collaborations with Drake, Rick Ross and Kanye West.

Album: This Is Country Music

Artist: Brad Paisley

Release Date: May 23

With his boldly titled ninth studio album, Paisley attempts to define the genre that he has become so integral to. Topping out at 15 tracks, Paisley gives new life to the cliché themes of southern life, relationships, and death; all with a little help from Carrie Underwood and Sheryl Crow.

Album: Gold Cobra

Artist: Limp Bizkit

Release Date: June 24

Yes this is real. After numerous set backs and release dates, Fred Durst and company have returned with more rap metal. This time around though, they are much older. Hopefully this doesn't turn out like Chinese Democracy, but it probably will.

Album: 4

Artist: Beyonce

Release Date: June 28

Everyone's favorite independent woman is back with her aptly named fourth album, 4. It is good to see a familiar face in the pop world that is dominated by cheesy rappers and attention whores that can't make a good pop song for their life. The pop world needed something to revive it, and this album might just do that.