NBA Finals: The Spectrum Perspective

Another Huge Failure by LeBron James. What Does it All Mean?

So another NBA season is in the books and the most hated figure in sports since Barry Bonds was bested by the Dallas Mavericks in six games. Is America happy now?

Of course it is.

People from California all the way to New York are ecstatic that "King James" faltered and in the process, you'd think the entire country had been Mavericks fans their entire lives.

The real victory has to be for the league itself. The NBA put up some historic numbers from a ratings standpoint in this series and the league should flourish for years to come based on the numbers. Love him or hate him, LeBron gets people to turn on their TVs, and that is what it's all about for me. Getting people to enjoy the pro game of basketball, which is the greatest game in the world.

With all that said, I have a ton of reactions to the series and where better to start than with "The King" himself.

LeBRON JAMES

I can't really seem to come to a conclusion or a decisive plateau with my thoughts on James. On one hand, he is the most gifted and talented player in the league. On the other hand, he seems to shy away from every big moment in his career.

James was hurt last year during the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals against the Boston Celtics, but the performance he gave was deplorable. He looked like he didn't even want to be on the court. I thought that was left in the past when he almost single-handedly eliminated the league's best team in the regular season and their star and league MVP Derrick Rose, the Chicago Bulls.

I couldn't have scripted what was to come if I tried. The final two games of the Miami season showcased LeBron fade into the backdrop while the rest of his teammates were forced to fend for themselves. Dwyane Wade won the Heat two games in this series, and his back injury obviously hampered him in the latter part of the series. It was James' time to take over and lead his team to victory; but he didn't want any part of it.

The way the Miami team is built doesn't afford any of its players the luxury of disappearing against a great team, and that is exactly what Dallas is. It's been well documented that Wade and James are guys that are at their best with the ball in their hands. Wade has done his part and improved without the ball, but James continues to look like a fish out of water when he is without the rock. This is something that has to change if Miami is going to be successful long term with the group they've assembled.

I don't think James deserves all the negative press he's getting. I know he's a cocky, arrogant, self-righteous guy, but come on. The guy is not a criminal, he was the apple of America's eye until he decided to jump ship, and he's one of the greatest talents to ever play the game. The Michael Jordan comparisons are irrelevant, and more and more becoming ridiculous. He's not the same ilk of player. He doesn't have the same make up. He's sort of soft, to be honest; but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. He's also only 26 years old and still has some time to figure everything out.

He played the most minutes of any player in this series and looked like he may have just been gassed. That might rest on the shoulders of the man calling the shots.

ERIC SPOELSTRA

Next up is Eric Spoelstra. I've had enough time now to check out numerous takes on the job he did in this series and, to my surprise, there are some people that think he did a good job.

Before I continue I should say that I like Spoelstra and I'm not one of these people calling for the Mighty Pat Riley to descend from on high to take over, again. With that said, the guy played a big role in why the Heat lost this series.

For starters, his inability to utilize timeouts at the right times let the Mavericks routinely get a bucket or two more on game-changing runs. His game management left a lot to be desired. Some substitutions were puzzling, but what seemed even more troubling were the substitutions he never made.

Mike Miller played only eight minutes in game six. That's a guy that has come up big several times this post season for Miami and a veteran forward who could've played a big role in the game. The Mavs had seven offensive rebounds in the second half and 10-second chance points in that same stretch. Miami players seemed uninterested and weren't boxing out or urgently pursuing loose balls, and that is one of the things Miller excels at doing on the court.

The Mavericks shot the lights out throughout their playoff run and it was no different against the Heat. Miller went 7-for-18 from three-point range in the series, which was the best percentage of any Miami player from beyond the arc. That might have helped as the team was fighting back late in the fourth quarter.

James Jones didn't play a minute in the finals. What was up with that? The guy as been the best role player on that team for stretches this season and you get to the ship and he just doesn't play. I understand he can be a defensive liability at times, but he needs to get some minutes, if only to provide a spark that he's proven to be able to deliver all season long.

It'll be interesting to see if any news on Jones and Spoelstra surfaces in the coming weeks. Whatever the issue was, I hope Spoelstra is happy because that move could be part of what caused his team to fall short.

In the playoffs, a coach has to be able to adjust. There seemed to be no adjustments from Spoelstra. He went with virtually the same guys in the same rotation the entire series. That is not a recipe for success.

Udonis Haslem missed almost six months after his injury, yet Spoelstra seemed to just disregard that fact as he threw out Haslem for 34 minutes in game six. Joel Anthony played solid defense all series. Why wasn't he out there much in the second half?

Oh yea, because he hasn't yet learned that when he touches the ball on offense, whether it be via pass or off of a rebound, he is to immediately pass it to someone else. That is all coaching. Tell the guy to stop taking shots and attempting put backs and give Haslem a few blows on the sideline.

ANTI-HEAT MOVEMENT

I couldn't end the NBA season without one last discussion on the wave that's taken the nation and the NBA by storm: the Heat Hating American Agenda.

First off, "The Decision" wasn't that big of a deal. The people that are all up in arms about it are fans from New York or Chicago – who James passed over for South Beach – and this sect of society that believes a player owes something to the city he plays in other than playing his heart out while he is there.

The way he bolted wasn't the way to go, I admit, but get over it. It's been a year; the Heat lost, move on. He may be a cocky guy, but what high-paid athlete isn't?

The crazy part of the "movement" has been the way a lot of fans have been acting like they've been Mavericks fans for years. Memo to Cleveland: Your city did not have a sports team win a championship. The Mavericks play in Dallas and even with Kyrie Irving or whomever else the Cavs draft this year, the Cavaliers are a ways away from contending for a division title, let alone a league title.

The experiment may have failed in year one, but like the timeless adage goes, Rome wasn't built in a day. The Heat will be back better next year and this train has just left the station. The only obstacle they'll have to overcome now is getting LeBron to somehow transition into the Robin role, and let Dwyane Wade (Batman) lead this team to its second title.

Email: matthew.parrino@ubspectrum.com