How Do You Spell Super Bowl? B-U-F-F-A-L-O

Matthew Parrino

Facebook seems to be at the center of everything nowadays, doesn't it? At least once a week, I see something on Facebook that makes me want to throw my Macbook through the window.

The latest instance came on Monday night, in the form of the latest Facebook sensation: the questionnaire application. Some idiot asked the Facebook world: which would mean more to the city of Buffalo, a Bills' Super Bowl victory or a Sabres' Stanley Cup?

Now, let me start by saying that I think the fact that this is even a question is beyond ridiculous. I've lived in Buffalo for 27 of my 28 years, so I like to think I have an idea of the thinking of this city.

To my amazement, the results of this preposterous quiz showed that almost twice as many people who voted believed a Sabres' Stanley Cup would mean more to Buffalo than a Bills' Super Bowl.

Do the near 4,000 people who voted for the Cup have any concept of meaning in sports? If you count yourself as a part of this moronic group of frontrunners, then get out a notepad, because I'm going to school you on why you're wrong.

Hockey headlines don't resonate in the U.S. The sport gets minimal airtime on ESPN for a reason. I don't want to hear the argument that the TV contract has any effect on it; barely anyone noticed before the lockout either.

Why would a city care about a championship in a sport that barely anybody else covets from a national standpoint? One hundred eleven million people in the U.S watched this year's Super Bowl between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Green Bay Packers. Only 32 million people watched the Stanley Cup Finals, and that's adding together all six games.

The funny thing is that the Sabres haven't even been that good in the NHL. In their 40 years of existence, they've won the division only six times, made the conference finals only six times, and been to the Stanley Cup Finals only two times.

In the Bills' 50-year history, the team has won its division 10 times, is the only team in NFL history to play in four straight Super Bowls, and won two AFL Championships, one in 1964 and one in 1965.

The heartbreak that Bills fans have endured is displayed on Sundays almost like a badge of honor. There isn't another fanbase in sports like the 12th man.

A Super Bowl would mean the same to Buffalo as being awarded the Olympics would mean to any other city. Schools would be off for a week, the streets of Orchard Park, Buffalo, and most of the surrounding suburbs would be littered with fans, paraphernalia, and the joy of a beleaguered region that has been yearning for something big to happen for decades.

In 2011, football is America's game, and a Super Bowl would bring some positive attention to a city that desperately needs a sunny day. A Super Bowl victory would take some of the pain away for people who lived through the four straight losses.

It will help people finally forgive Scott Norwood and his stupid right leg. It will help people forget about Frank Wycheck and his forward lateral in the Music City Miracle.

The Super Bowl is the last wish of a dying city that will probably never come true because the team probably wont be here much longer.

Can you blame the Bills though? More than half the people on Facebook are worried about Tim Connelly and Derek Roy drinking from a giant cup. LOL, that will never happen either. Isn't being a Buffalo sports fan great?

Email: matthew.parrino@ubspectrum.com