Directions to Alumni

Matthew Parrino

Before break, I wrote a column in an attempt to generate excitement around the men's basketball team.

Two things occurred to me after the article went to print. First, it may not have been the best time to get students to attend games, considering everyone was going home for a month. And second, I focused too much on the Buffalo community and not enough on the people right here at UB.

The basketball season is in full swing. Now that students are back on campus, there are no excuses as to why the student section shouldn't be overflowing with True Blue maniacs at Alumni Arena on game day.

While we're on the subject of student involvement, are there any fraternities left at UB? I can't imagine going to a Syracuse game and not seeing every fraternity at the school fighting to be the largest and loudest group cheering on the Orange.

But it's not any one group that needs to step up; it's the entire school. You know how they say you never really know what you have until it's gone? Well this team is good and has a bunch of young players that are exciting to watch. But they won't be around forever.

So not everyone is a basketball fan. Believe me, I get that. I live in a city of hockey nuts and I can barely make it through a period before I turn the channel. But it's about more than just the game on the court.

The experience of attending a sporting event is like no other. A large group of people comes together for one common goal. Along the way, you make friends and get a chance to be a part of something bigger than yourself.

Most diehard Bulls fans will tell you there is nothing like the journey to Cleveland, Ohio, where the Mid-American Conference tournament is played. You get to go through all the ups and downs with the person sitting next to you whether or not you actually know them.

Being a part of a school community makes the dedication and success even sweeter when the team finally does something great.

If you look at your chest right now while you're reading this article and you're donning a UB hoodie or T-shirt, than you're halfway there. You already feel connected to this school and you want people to know about it. The Bulls are an extension of the school and provide that unique opportunity to be a part of something on campus.

If you watched either of the Green Bay Packers playoff games this season, you may have seen a player that looked familiar. That's right, I'm talking about former Bulls running back James Starks, who burst onto the scene against the Philadelphia Eagles. He ran for 123 yards in the game – the most ever by any Green Bay rookie in the postseason – and put Bulls football on the map.

Just think, if you had been at UB Stadium on Saturdays when Starks ran wild for the Bulls, you could have taken a part in that celebration.

Well, I have good news: you have that chance to watch a guy who could be the next Bulls player to make it big. Freshman forward Javon McCrea is featured in today's issue, and he alone is worth the price of admission.

Oh wait, you get in for free.

The Bulls have been great this season, but they can be even better and they need your help. You can make the difference and maybe finally help the school make it to the NCAA tournament for the first time.

Tonight [Wednesday] is the time to make your presence felt and help the Bulls battle the Golden Flashes.

UB the difference.

E-mail: matthew.parrino@ubspectrum.com