Vote4US Party dominates senate

Elects promise to listen to student body

On Thursday night the Vote 4US Party all but swept the Student Association senate election, winning 11 out of the 12 available positions. At the same time, the student mandatory activity fee referendum passed with 1,475 votes.

The senate, which is made up of six on campus residents; six off campus students; the three Executive SA Board members (President, Vice President and Treasurer); the Speaker of the Assembly and six coordinators; works closely with the clubs at UB to ensure that they have the necessary materials to successfully exist. The body of representatives is responsible for allocating the SA budget and recognizing, or derecognizing, SA clubs.

Yanco Escano, a junior business major, received the most votes (507) out of the on campus candidates, while Autumn Shaffer, a sophomore undecided major, lead the way for off campus votes (348).

Candidates became eligible by obtaining 100 undergraduate signatures and attending the candidates meetings. Some of the new Senate members decided to get involved in the election because they were previously involved in student government, while others simply wanted to effect change on campus.

Vilona Trachtenberg, a sophomore economics and political science major and an off campus senator, was previously involved with SA and enjoyed tackling the challenge of winning an election.

"I decided that I wanted to run for senate because I was on the Student Assembly last year and wanted to have my voice and ideas heard more," Trachtenberg said. "Since in order to be on senate every senator has to be voted for and elected, it seemed like an interesting challenge that I was excited to take on."

Katherine Pizzutelli, a sophomore business major and an on campus senator, was in the Leadership House last year and wanted to stay involved with the student government. Pizzutelli recognized how important SA is, drawing an analogy to the human body.

"Student Association is crucial to the livelihood of UB," Pizzutelli said. "It is the heart that pumps the blood through to all of the veins. UB students should expect their student government to keep the ‘blood' pumping to every part of the student body."

Fahad Sherwani, a senior computer engineering major and an off campus senator, decided to get involved because he wanted to alleviate some of the issues that clubs face.

"Last semester, while working for certain clubs, I realized the challenges faced by the E-board and the club members," Sherwani said. "Over the summer I learned about the workings and responsibilities of the senate. A combination of both urged me to run for the senate so that I can bring positive changes to facilitate all the clubs. I really look forward to an exciting year to serve the student body."

Sherwani's excitement seems to sum up the sentiments felt by the rest of the elects. Every member is eager to get to work and bring the students exactly what they want and deserve.

"What I personally plan on doing for the students is to listen to them," said Albert Spade, a senior business major with a marketing concentration and an off campus senator. "I want to hear any and all issues and/or complaints and evaluate them objectively. I would like to see the proper allocation of funds to deserving clubs as well."

Spade, who is a member of both Delta Sigma Pi and the Undergraduate Management Association, is a transfer student who got involved with SA this past summer working as a temp in their office. He quickly realized how much impact SA can have and also understands the frustrations that clubs face when they lack financial stability.

Adel Imani, a junior biology major and an off campus senator, sees SA as the backbone to student life and would like to see students grow more vocal and express their opinions.

"For the UB students, I pledge to do my best to bring them what they are entitled to, which is the full UB experience," Imani said. "…I am asking the students to come out and speak their minds [and] let the SA know of their likes and dislikes because, after all, it's our school and it's time we get active."

All in all, the new senate has promised to fairly distribute funds and ensure that the students receive everything they've come to expect as students at UB. They plan to evaluate clubs' needs in an unbiased manner, promote transparency and represent every student.

"I believe that I'm a person that can represent my peers as a whole, due to the fact that when I make my decisions, I don't only think about the majority of the students. I also seek to understand the needs of any minority group of students," said Darwinson Valdez, a sophomore political science major and an on campus senator.

The new senate has urged students to get involved in order to help effect change. At their first meeting the senate will elect a chair that will function as the senate leader by calling meetings and setting the agenda. The previous two senate chairs have gone on to become SA President.

Here are the rest of the results of the election:

On Campus

Yanco Escano: 507 votes

Katherine Pizzutelli: 479 votes

James Gibbons: 459 votes

Jonathan Grunin: 451 votes

Leslie Kylachman: 439 votes

Darwinson Valdez: 435 votes

Off Campus

Autumn Shaffer: 348 votes

Fahad Sherwani: 337 votes

Albert Spade: 307 votes

Adel Imani: 302 votes

Vilona Trachtenberg: 292 votes

Karolina Peysakhov: 289 votes

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com