Tuesday, May 14, 2024

UB grad returns home for Elmwood gig

It's been a long time since UB graduate Doug Cameron played a show in Buffalo. The last time he did, Cher and Gregg Allman were still married. Not to mention they just happened to be in the audience.

In fact, that's how Cameron got his big break. When Cher and Allman watched the violinist perform, they became enamored with his work and struck up an unlikely friendship. After playing with each other at a local high school together,

Cameron's future took an unexpected turn for the best.

After going on an apple-picking trip in Orchard Park together, Cameron followed them back to Los Angeles and actually lived with Cher and Allman at their house for a period of time.

While he was unable to prevent the pair's rocky marriage from its eventual split up, the experience did give him an invaluable jumpstart on his music career. The two were very supportive of him, and Cher would go on to collaborate with him on later projects.

According to Cameron, if Allman hadn't taken him under his wing, his successful music career may have never taken off.

"The main thing [Allman] did was get me to [Los Angeles]," Cameron said, "I probably would've never moved there without him."

As a result of his prime location, Cameron worked with many talented musicians, and he received a great deal of inspiration that would go on to ensure his continued musical success.

"The talent pool I was exposed to really pushed me as a musician," Cameron said. "I had the pick of the best musicians, like [jazz instrumentalist] Vinnie Colaiuta."

When Cameron's time with Cher and Allman was through, he embarked on what has been an incredibly successful music career. During his solo career, he has released eight studio albums and worked for three record labels.

In addition, he has composed music for numerous motion pictures and several commercials. It's a full resume to be sure.

Now, Cameron is making his return to Buffalo for a show on Oct. 24 at the Elmwood Franklin Johnson theater. Cameron expressed a great deal of excitement to return to town and the school where he spent his formative years.

"I am very excited," Cameron said. "I haven't been [to UB] in decades. I'm excited to see the school again. I've heard it's changed a lot, I can't wait to see what it looks like now."

With such an impressive career behind him and a bright future ahead, those of the Queen City will be more than happy to witness Cameron's triumphant return home.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com