The little decisions

Andrew Wiktor

Not every decision warrants an hour-long television program, but every choice matters. No action, regardless of how minute it may seem, occurs without consequence.

Consider waking up.

The alarm goes off and you're forced to make an early decision: should you get out of bed, snooze for five minutes, or turn the alarm off entirely?

It's a minor choice, but it has spiraling effects.

It's the difference between having time to make breakfast, being well-rested or missing your first class of the day.

Now think about lunchtime.

Choosing between Rachel's and Jonny C's seems insignificant; your gut says Mediterranean, but your pallet says Pittsburgh. You stroll into the deli and stand in line to order. In walks the professor whose class you inconveniently slept through this morning. In retrospect, you may wish you went with the souvlaki wrap.

Think about the events that transpired last weekend in the University Heights.

I doubt the five kids who ended up in the hospital anticipated how their nights would unfold when they hopped out of the shower, threw on a button down and lathered up in cologne. In fact, I bet they probably foresaw themselves waking up next to a cute girl, not with a black eye.

What makes life so interesting is what makes life so complicated; you never know what's about to happen next, and it's impossible to predict exactly how one decision will impact the rest of your life.

Should any of those kids have stayed in that night to study? Should any of them have called a cab to pick them up from the party? Should any of them be responsible for being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Shouldacouldawouldas only get you so far in life. The decisions you make, regardless of how minor or major they may be, have a huge impact on the rest of your life.

Reflecting on past decisions is a difficult task and it's often hard to be completely honest with yourself about why you made certain choices. Sometimes we can't even pinpoint the choices that led us to where we are now, so any attempt to decrypt the past may be futile.

Plus, contemplating the whys and what-ifs doesn't change your current circumstance. Uncovering how you got to where you are now is only as valuable as you make it. Evaluating past mistakes doesn't necessarily prevent future errors, and it certainly doesn't alter the present.

You alter your present and control your future with the decisions you make – both big and small.

Awkwardly running into the professor whose class you skipped may seem horrible on the surface. But the next time your alarm goes off, you'll probably get out of bed and make sure you're in class on time. One small mistake could possibly have a large (and positive) effect on your future.

Today I turned 21, and I definitely don't have it all figured out yet. I do know, however, that the little things in life can, do and will matter - even the most minute decisions.

You're not always going to be dealt aces in life, and even when you are, you still have to decide how to play them. Sometimes, you may have to take your seven-deuce and shove all-in. Either way, it's your choice.