Offensive nightmare in Bowling Green

The defense had to play well for the football team to compete on Saturday night. Their performance could end up being the launching pad to the season.

The Bulls (2-3, 1-0 Mid-American Conference) offense made every attempt to give away the game against Bowling Green (1-4, 0-1 MAC), however, Falcons kicker Bryan Wright missed a 40-yard field goal as time expired, allowing the Bulls to escape Bowling Green with a 28-26 victory.

"We know that we can be a very good football team when we're playing our A-game and taking great care of the ball," said head coach Jeff Quinn. "Certainly, the turnovers, the lack of focus and the discipline was unacceptable. But it's a great win."

The Bulls defense made Michigan's effort a week earlier against the Falcons look average by comparison. They forced five Bowling Green turnovers and allowed only nine rushing yards for the game.

The Bulls played every phase of defense to perfection as they held the Falcons to only 176 total yards of offense for the game.

"That was one of the best performances I've been a part of as a defense as a whole," said senior safety Davonte Shannon. "We had a couple mishaps, but other than that, we played a sound game."

Turnovers, however, were the story of the game as the two teams combined for 11 giveaways, six of which were by the Bulls.

With a 28-13 lead in the fourth quarter, sophomore quarterback Jerry Davis was picked off for the fourth time in the game and for the second by cornerback Robert Lorenzi.

Lorenzi ran the interception back 82 yards for a touchdown to cut the Buffalo lead to 28-19 after a failed 2-point conversion.

The Falcons got the ball back with just under nine minutes to go. On a critical third down, Buffalo's defense got caught off guard for the first time all day after a screen pass to Falcons running back Willie Geter went 48 yards for a touchdown, bringing them to within two points at 28-26.

When the Bulls got the ball back, Davis and the offense were unable to sustain the drive. They had to punt the ball back to Bowling Green with over four minutes remaining, forcing the Buffalo defense to step up once again.

With the Bulls defense on the verge of yet another three-and-out, an official called a personal foul on defensive end Steven Means after an incomplete pass, giving the Falcons a first down.

On the next set of downs, the Falcons faced a fourth and six. Cornerback Sherrod Lott seemed to have ended the threat by breaking up the pass attempt, but yet another penalty, this time pass interference, extended the Falcons drive.

On the second fourth down attempt of the drive, senior cornerback Sherrod Lott intercepted a pass, seemingly wrapping up the win for the Bulls.

"These games get tricky when you play against these guys," said senior safety Domonic Cook. "All four years that I've been here, every game has come down to the ending."

With just over a minute left in the game, the Bulls just needed to run out the clock. One last mistake by the offense would set up yet another dramatic ending between the two teams.

On a hand-off exchange between Davis and senior running back Ike Nduka, Nduka fumbled the ball, which was recovered by the Falcons on the Buffalo 24-yard line.

"I was lost for words," Quinn said. "I can't even tell you, after all the things our defense did up until that point, all we needed to do is support them and take care of the ball."

Down two points, Bowling Green ran the clock down to set up a game winning field goal attempt, but Wright pushed the 40-yarder wide right.

"It was incredible [to be a part of] the emotions in this game," Quinn said.

Davis was inconsistent in the win. He threw for 241 yards with three touchdowns and the four interceptions. He moved the offense down the field efficiently in the first two drives of the second half, but two of his interceptions resulted in touchdowns for the Falcons.

Despite his costly fumble, Nduka contributed to the team when they needed it. He recorded the Bulls first rushing touchdown of the season, capitalizing off of a Means fumble recovery in the second quarter.

The Bulls have a bye week before they travel to Northern Illinois in search of their second MAC win on Saturday, Oct. 16.

E-mail: sports@ubspectrum.com