Friday, May 03, 2024

Generation satire

Am I the only one that is bored with this polarization in politics?

I am so sick of having to scour the Internet to find anything that remotely resembles a logical thought. It's ridiculous that the numerous cable news channels are so busy debating who has a bias that they barely report the news.

You know there is a problem with our media outlets when a satirist on Comedy Central is the most trusted name in the news. Jon Stewart has made his career by hitting politicians where it hurts and saying what others won't.

While he might be the most trusted name in news, even he himself says he is just a comedian, not a newscaster.

Whether he is a proper newscaster or not, Stewart is the voice of millions that normally are voiceless.

Stewart will be holding the Rally to Restore Sanity in Washington D.C Oct. 30. At the same time, Stewart's fellow satire star, Stephen Colbert, will also be hosting the Rally to Keep Fear Alive, also in Washington D.C.

The two are trying to show that there aren't just two extreme sides to an argument, but there are actually plenty of people that see validation in both sides of the discussion.

These two might have been trying to make Glenn Beck look ridiculous for holding his Aug. 28 rally, or maybe they think they can do some good.

Whatever their reasoning is, the two of them may be emceeing one of the biggest political events of our generation.

Our parents grew up in turbulent times. Their generation had the Cold War, the Kent State Massacre and Ronald Reagan. They had plenty of things to be angry about.

Forty years ago there were students protesting on college campuses all the time. Now it is considered radical to have an on campus rally.

Somewhere along the line, the youth stopped caring and started letting politicians get away with their shady business. Stewart and Colbert are attempting to restore the fire in our bellies.

Most people see Stewart and Colbert as liberal. But it doesn't matter what political orientation you have: the problems in politics are so blatant that they are no longer a party issue.

We have more than enough things to be angry about. The economy is in shambles, politicians are unwilling to work together and the news is full of fear mongering.

The timing is perfect for these rallies. With midterm elections coming up, politicians will have to take notice of other ideologies that would often be overlooked by elected officials.

This is a chance for your voice to get heard in a system where it usually goes in one ear and right out the other.

If you have an opportunity to attend this event, I highly recommend it. Stewart and Colbert have some friends in high places, so there is no telling who might stop by.

E-mail: jameson.butler@ubspectrum.com