Forming a band of the rock variety

Why is your game going to rock 2010?

Rock Band 3

Sporting a brand new keyboard peripheral, a digital six-string, and a more realistic drum set, Rock Band 3 seeks to finally claim the throne of rock. For this iteration, developer Harmonix has included a Rock Band Pro mode that will shut down even the greatest of wannabe guitar heroes.

This is in addition to the 83 new in-game tracks and the massive (over 1,500 songs) library that are at the gamer's disposal.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

While Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock may not be sporting the new, shiny keyboard that Rock Band 3 boasts, it does allow for any combination of instruments. Whether a group of friends wants to cover Bush as a quartet or Foo Fighters with four players on the drums, this is the game to do it.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock has an eclectic setlist comprised of 93 songs – surely enough hits to satisfy any virtual band.

Which series is a safer bet?

Rock Band 3

Harmonix is a seasoned pro with a history unlike any other in the industry. While Rock Band 2 didn't shatter any expectations, Harmonix's customer loyalty did, offering players the option to import all of their downloaded songs to Rock Band 3 for free. Moreover, for an additional 400 Microsoft Points, Rock Band players can play the entire first game's setlist in the new version.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock allows players to create their own music and download music that other players create, leading to a potentially infinite set list of fake songs being played on fake instruments. Additionally, it allows users to use content from previous installments, letting players relive their fond memories of the older games.

Which game has the exclusives?

Rock Band 3

Historically, both series have had their share of exclusive licensing. In 2009, Harmonix was able to flex its creative muscles with the development of The Beatles: Rock Band. The company has proved time and time again that given the exclusive rights to a band, it can do the music justice, unlike other developers.

Rock Band 3 will have its share of exclusive tracks, though the track list at this point feels like it is the tried and true songs repackaged on a new disc.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Guitar Hero has had its band exclusives in the past, such as Aerosmith and Van Halen, but much like Rock Band 3, this installment simply packs a solid selection of music that goes perfectly with the game.

Any concertgoer knows it's all about the set list. What is your game bringing to the stage?

Rock Band 3

Rammstein, Smash Mouth and The B-52's are just a sample of the diverse bands available to please a variety of tastes in the newest Rock Band. Just in time for his birthday, John Lennon's hit "Imagine" will dominate drunken parties for the next few months. Finally, staples of the music industry, including Ozzy Osbourne, Joan Jett and Stone Temple Pilots, bring their talent to newest addition to the Rock Band family.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

The humble set list of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock boasts the likes of R.E.M., Queen, Muse and KISS. If that seems too pedestrian, there are seven songs by Rush as well.

Whether a band is trying to emulate Alice Cooper with "No More Mr. Nice Guy" in the early '70s, or Fall Out Boy in 2005 with "Dance, Dance," it will find what it's looking for in this game.

Which game has the better instruments?

Rock Band 3

This is a hands-down win for the Harmonix team. Adding a two-octave keyboard, a 17-fret guitar and a cymbal expansion, there may be some confusion between a garage band and its electronic counterpart.

In Rock Band Pro mode, musicians will finally shine through as notes will stop being their distinguishable colors and become the actual notes played by the artists themselves.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

This is one area where Rock Band 3 is the undisputed winner. They innovated where Guitar Hero did not and take this category with ease.

What game modes does your game have?

Rock Band 3

Rock Band Pro takes center stage, but for those who are unwilling to take on the role of an actual musician can play it safe by using their old Rock Band paraphernalia. Additionally, "Party Mode" serves the purpose described by its name, serving as a virtual jukebox mixing up songs and allowing players to jump in and out at any time.

"Career Mode" is back again, this time with even more challenges and mystery set lists, perfect for the times that players want to just be alone with the music.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Guitar Hero has kept its standard game modes from previous installments, and still has "Party Play" mode. Similar to Rock Band's new mode, this allows players to jump in and out of playing without risk of failing songs. It is a much more casual mode than players may be used to, and may help with high alcohol, low attention playing situations.

The new mode is called "Quest Mode." It is a career/story mode narrated by the legendary Gene Simmons; it is a nice new take on the stale career mode of past installments where the player is challenged to save the Demigod of Rock.

Why shouldn't you buy the competition?

Rock Band 3

The multitude of features, the plethora of instruments, and the 1,500-plus song library Rock Band 3 possesses are more than enough reasons. Why look anywhere else than the king of music game development? This is essentially the perfect party activity in a box. For everything mentioned above, the keyboard, guitar, mic, drums, will run a music fanatic about $360. That's more expensive than this generation's current consoles, but it is certainly worth it.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

This game is still exactly what fans of the series have come to want and expect. It provides countless hours of musical fun and doesn't cost $360 like Rock Band 3 does.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com