New York heat

There are 30 teams in the National Basketball Association, and on July 8 I had my money on 29 of them.

I genuinely thought that LeBron James was coming to the Mecca of basketball to throw on the blue and orange and bring Madison Square Garden back to its glory days. More than that, however, I was convinced that he wouldn't end up in Miami, so I bet a friend that he'd sign with any team other than the Heat.

Nine words later, I was $20 poorer and a whole lot angrier when James announced he'd be "taking his talents to South Beach."

Losing the cash sucked, but I was more upset about the King's princess-like decision to form a super-tandem with Dwayne Wade. (Sorry Chris Bosh, you've never played a meaningful basketball game in your life – minus the Olympics – and you're not a superstar.)

Bron's announcement was cowardly, distasteful, intriguing, unfair and evil. But it was also enlightening.

Some learned that James doesn't have what it takes to win on his own, others realized that Wade was the real gem of the 2003 draft class and many discovered that professional athletes love to party.

But as I watched the Thursday night television special, I gained perspective on professional baseball.

Typo?

Nope.

I finally realized why so many Major League Baseball fans hate the New York Yankees.

Alex Rodriguez, Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter, Mark Teixeira, Mariano Rivera and C.C. Sabathia shouldn't be allowed to play on the same team. It's almost unfair.

Almost.

What's important to remember about the Yankees is that they've attracted big names since the 1920s. There's a history embedded in the Bronx and a certain pride that comes with wearing the blue and white pinstripes.

With that being said, who are the Miami Heat? They've won one championship in their meager 22 years of existence and are coming off a first-round exit from the playoffs.

LeBron simply wanted an easy trip to the championship and the opportunity to party in South Beach with his friends from the 2008 Olympic team.

At least A-rod signed with a prestigious organization when he sold himself out. Plus, he didn't conspire with other players from around the league and make an announcement on national TV.

Watching the decision debacle unfold helped me appreciate the anti-Yankees sentiments felt across the country, but it hasn't stopped me from hating the Heat.

Two of the three best players in a sport shouldn't be allowed to manipulate their free agency to create a seemingly unstoppable team. Bosh shouldn't have received half of the attention he was given this offseason, and James shouldn't talk about how the game of basketball is about the "team" and not centered around three of the league's top players when he signed with the Heat (who, at the time, only had half a roster filled).

I drew the comparison between the Heat and the Yanks immediately after LeBron announced where he'd be playing. It was a tough pill to swallow, but I now get why so many fans detest the Bronx Bombers.

But I don't believe my favorite baseball team should be getting as much heat as the basketball team located in Miami.

The Yankees may have the most talent in the MLB, but at least they never danced around on stage like wannabe-rap stars.