Sunday, April 28, 2024

Dreaming the possible

Do one thing a day that scares you. Challenge yourself and construct goals to make your dreams possible. Do it now, do it now, do it now!

This summer I was fortunate enough to live my dream job as an animal trainer at SeaWorld with magnificent killer whales. To achieve my dream before graduating college, I set attainable goals for myself and followed a few guidelines.

Powerful goals are ones that are constructed upon the core values of a person. Consider what is important to you in terms of your career, health and personal accomplishments.

Say hello to your future self and start creating who you want to be. I believe that we don't come to college to "find ourselves," but to actively create our identity. It's up to you to constantly challenge yourself both mentally and physically.

I currently have particular goals for myself.

I will sweat once a day and run at least five days a week for 45 minutes. I will make Dean's List this semester and complete a community service project by January.

The most powerful goals are those written in ink. They become crystallized and real. Put up a goal sheet where you will see it at least once a day and write down short-term goals in your planner. You'll be more focused on achieving those goals when you visualize what you really want to work hard for.

A goal must contain certain attributes to set you up for success. A goal must be affirmative and articulate what you will create. Create what you will do, not what you won't. Instead of saying, "I won't take elevators," try thinking, "I will strive to always use stairs when possible."

You must write a goal in present tense. Formulate your goal as if it is happening and always make it measurable. Concrete ideas should prove to be more beneficial than abstract ones. Think "I will run more," vs. "I will run three more miles a week."

Always set deadlines for yourself. State a clear date for when you intend to complete your goal.

Keep in mind some powerful words of wisdom from Lululemon, an athletic apparel company that motivates customers around the world: "Successful people replace the words wish, should and try with ‘I WILL.'"

Lululemon also advocates for the avoidance of mediocrity: "Nature wants us to be mediocre because we have a greater chance to survive and reproduce. Mediocrity is as close to the bottom as it is to the top, and will give you a lousy life."

It can be incredibly motivating when you set goals properly. As you reach certain achievements you'll find that your self-confidence builds fast. Keep in mind, however, that some failure and disappointment are critical steps toward success.

Failing to reach even 50 percent of your goals is still a good indication that you have taken steps and have tried. It shows motivation, and now you're challenging yourself in way you weren't before.

Dive in, take a chance and see what you are made of. Start constructing some audacious goals and remember the words of scholar William Arthur Ward along the way

"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it."