Defense gels both on and off the field

Experience and enthusiasm expected to lead the way

Between the signing of offensive-minded head coach Jeff Quinn, a new starting quarterback in Jerry Davis and new freshman starting running back Branden Oliver, it's been easy to forget about the other side of the ball.

But the football team's defense is walking with swagger again, and they may end up stealing the show in 2010.

Last spring, defensive coordinator William Inge introduced the 3-4 base defense – an alignment that allows players to become more active in the secondary. The new scheme took some getting used to, but now that the unit has grasped the system, they are beginning to build on a new level of excitement, thus boasting their confidence.

"I've seen a big transformation from the spring to the fall," Inge said. "We introduced a new defense in the spring, so they were slow to get it. Now, I can tell that a lot of them have worked hard over the summer and it's finally all coming together."

In 2008, when the Bulls won the Mid-American Conference Championship and participated in the International Bowl, the team was anchored by its hard-hitting defense. That unit was able to force turnovers and create scoring opportunities on a consistent basis which eased the load for the offense.

This season, the defense is looking to return to championship form and will have senior leadership to guide the way.

"We have nine seniors [on defense]," said Quinn. "Five defensive backs…which is unusual. I've been around the game for 27 years and it's hard to find five senior DBs."

The defense has been working hard, specifically on tackling and contact drills. Most players, namely defensive lineman Steven Means, have gotten stronger in the offseason and are looking to make a splash in the MAC. Means is expected to have a breakout year, but hasn't let expectations get the better of him.

"People can say all they want about how I'm going to play this year, but none of that matters until I get out there and perform," Means said. "I do my best to stay level headed and just go out and do my job."

Still, many have high hopes for the sophomore who finished last season with five sacks.

"Steven Means has been blessed with great talent," Quinn said. "He's one of our young men from Western New York and he's just done a fabulous job. He brings out the best in other players, he has a great attitude about the game, he comes prepared, he's always locked in and he plays at a high level. You don't see his first play and his last play being a whole lot different."

Intensity has been a focal point for the defense this summer and every time the players step on the field, they appear excited to play. When the unit is gelling, their chemistry is unmistakable. The unit have done an excellent job of communicating and helping one another learn the system which has led to high expectations.

"We want to be the best secondary in the MAC and top 10 in the country," said senior free safety Davonte Shannon. "We want a player to be an All-American and two players, or more, to be all-conference. Those are the goals we have set or the secondary and we strive for every day."

The unit is well on their way to meeting those goals already as Shannon has been named to College Football Insider's preseason All-America team.

Each day the defense gets better and better, and as the weeks have progressed, expectations have risen. The secondary now does push-ups when they deflect a pass. Coach Inge isn't against breaking up passes, but instead wants his players to come away with the ball and hold onto the interception.

The team may look strong on the field, but they're getting along with each other off the field as well. The defense is a tight knit group that spends time together when they're not practicing for the season.

"We're a family. We're all brothers. It's one family – that's what we call it," said senior linebacker Justin Winters. "Our linebackers, we say that we're ‘Top Shottas', that's what we say. We're a family, and we love to joke around."

Quinn is proud of how far his defenders have come and believes that their experience and raw athletic ability will lead to success on the field.

"[Our defenders] are a very active bunch with dynamic personalities," said Quinn. "As a football coach, I love just watching the way those kids feed off each other and that enthusiasm creates that momentum."

The defense is hoping that the momentum they create will translate to many victories during the 2010 campaign.

E-mail: sports@ubspectrum.com