UB bucket list

Dear Seniors,
In less than a month, we will walk across the stage to receive our diplomas. Some of us cannot wait for this moment so that we can finally get out of Buffalo. Some of us fear it because we are not ready to enter the real world.
Still, we must move forward into the next stage of our lives. But before this happens, we need to find the time for one last hurrah.
I created a Senior Bucket List of things to do before leaving UB. This is in no way a complete list because there is so much to experience here. This is just a highlight of some of what made my experience here great – and what may help you make the most of your remaining time here.
1) Participate in intramural or club sports and/or join a student club or organization. With an array of sports to choose from, there is essentially something for everyone. Why not give it a shot? If sports aren't for you, then join a club. It's a great way to meet new people and broaden your social network.
2) Attend a Bulls game. As part of the UB marching band in 2008-2009, I stood on the sidelines as Naaman Roosevelt made the game-changing catch against Bowling Green, and when the fans rushed the field after the win in overtime. I also traveled to Detroit for the Mid-American Conference Championship game and to Toronto for the International Bowl. It's times like those that make you proud to be a UB student.
3) Attend a Bills/Sabres game. I hear there is nothing like it. It is certainly something I wish I had done in my four years here.
4) Play football in the snow or skate on Lake La Salle. Alright, so maybe you're afraid of falling through the ice or you cannot skate. At least play football in the snow. The weather sucks up here most of the time. Why not make the best of it with a leisurely scrimmage among friends?
5) Attend a distinguished speaker event. I saw the Dalai Lama my freshman year, but we've had many great speakers in my four years – Stephen Colbert and Bill Nye, to name a few. Take advantage of these amazing free events offered to you, because you may never get the chance again.
6) Attend Fall Fest/Spring Fest and other performing arts events. All I can say is Jack's Mannequin, All-American Rejects, and Jason Mraz. Too bad Incubus never came. Maybe next year. I have also attended most of the Buffalo Chips concerts and never left disappointed. If you have not heard them, you are missing out.
7) Go to a party on South Campus, stop at University Hots (a.k.a. U-Hots), and ride the "drunk bus" back. I don't know why so many people go to South Campus to party. It is almost like some sort of rite of passage. Be sure to grab food at U-Hots on the way back to the bus stop. There's nothing like a plate of good, greasy food after a long night out.
8) See Niagara Falls. It may not officially be one of the seven wonders of the new world, but it is beautiful, especially in the fall.
9) Go to Duff's or Anchor Bar and the Taste of Buffalo or Wing Fest. Buffalo is known for its chicken wings. You cannot go four years here without trying them at least once, unless you're a vegetarian like me, in which case I recommend a Veggie Burger at Cheeburger Cheeburger or the "Instant Friend" from Moe's Southwest Grill.
10) Experience Oozfest. If you did not sign up to play, at least go watch your fellow students fall on their faces and get covered in head-to-toe mud. It's sure to be a good time.
It may be too late for some of you to accomplish these things, but there is still time left. And if you're an underclassman, why not start working on your list now? Make a list and see what you can do before graduation.
Senior Week begins April 18. Take part in Senior Rose Day and Carnival Day, Senior Brunch, Oozfest 2010, and Sign-a-Buffalo. Try to take advantage of what the school offers in your last month here.
UB has made its mark on you these past few years; now leave your mark on UB.

E-mail: christy.suhr@ubspectrum.com