A summer in... Buffalo?

As our school year comes to an end, there's only one thing on everyone's mind and that's summer. For out-of-towners, whether you're leaving, staying, or are still undecided as to where you'll be living this summer, don't count Buffalo out just yet.
For those who pack their bags and head for the high hills in fear that our city becomes vacant over the summer months, you're sadly mistaken. As a Buffalo native (jealous, right?), I can assure you that there are plenty of things to do here.
From the Elmwood strip across the river to Saint Catherine's, and concerts in the square to festivals in the streets, allow me to be your hypothetical tour guide for the next few paragraphs.
What many students may not know is that Buffalo actually has a great restaurant district. Once you leave the Tim Hortons-saturated halls of UB, there are a plethora of options for even the most sophisticated palates.
If you're looking for some great Vietnamese or Thai cuisine, my two personal favorites are Saigon Bangkok on Niagara Falls Blvd., and Papaya on Chippewa. Saigon presents a slightly more traditional menu while Papaya verges on more modern options.
For an Italian flavor, my friends and I have a couple favorites. Trattoria Aroma on Main and Cecelia's on Elmwood have officially stolen our hearts. For German and Polish food, Prosit on Main St., is both authentic and delicious.
Take a stroll down Elmwood, Delaware, Allen or Main and stop in any variety of restaurants there. I also recommend Mothers restaurant on Virginia Place in Buffalo is a classy and trendy spot to hit that's also open late.
As far as nightlife is concerned, most everyone is already aware of Chippewa. But there are many other hidden gems scattered around the city that should be considered.
Many of the places in Allentown offer great music and ambiance with a slightly different feel than Chippewa. The mood on Allen is relaxed with an indie-like vibe, that many consider a more mature atmosphere. Elmwood and Delaware venues offer similar surroundings.
Buffalo hosts a myriad of festivals in the summer that always attract massive crowds and excitement.
The Hellenic, Italian and Polish festivals, the Allentown Art festival, the Taste of Buffalo, the National Buffalo Wing Festival, and the Gus Macker 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament are just a handful. Until you attend one of these events, it's hard to understand the appeal. Trust me, they're worth giving a trial run.
Also, let's not forget about the concerts that come to Buffalo. Town Ballroom and Mohawk Place are two great locations that host some top-tier shows. Jedi Mind Tricks recently came to Mohawk Place and Town Ballroom has a history of hosting a variety of artists, ranging from Passion Pit to Snoop Dogg.
Thursday in the Square – a summer staple in downtown buffalo – is a weekly concert series at Lafayette Square that provides free entertainment every Thursday. The Square is actually one of the Subway stops, so getting there is both easy and inexpensive.
Additionally, moe., O.A.R., and Citizen Cope are scheduled to perform in Buffalo this summer, while The Dave Matthews Band brings its annual summer tour to Darien Lake Performing Arts Center as well. No matter where you stand on the DMB bandwagon, the concert proves to be one of the summer's bests year in and year out as ticket holders can spend their entire day at the amusement park or tailgate in the parking lots.
If loud music and parties aren't exactly up your alley, then perhaps Saint Catherine's in Ontario is more your speed.
Known for its impeccable wine production, tours are offered all the time. Both fascinating and enjoyable, the relaxing trips are the perfect weekend getaway on a budget. Winesofontario.org offers a complete listing of upcoming events.
Speaking of Canada, Toronto is only a two-hour drive. The city offers the shopping, concerts, festivals and the nightlife of a big city at an arm's reach.
If you've never spent a summer in Buffalo, I'd suggest giving it a try at least once before you graduate. With the academic year coming to a close so our textbooks can collect dust for a couple months, it's time to go out and explore what Buffalo truly has to offer.

E-mail: jlharb@buffalo.edu