Strategies for success

To find a job after graduation, especially in this competitive economy, it's helpful to have some insider tips.

Fortunately, Holly Paul, recruiting leader for the global consulting and accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, has shared some hints from the company's newest event for guaranteed success in any job market.

To help future employees in the long track to finding a job, PwC kicked off its inaugural Personal Brand Week last Monday.

With guidelines and worksheets on topics like developing a network, finding passion in a career and distinguishing individual strengths, students logged onto the company's Facebook page, PwC US Careers, for advice from the experts.

'With the economy and the job market today, it's unbelievably competitive, so students who are in the job market … need an edge,' Paul said. 'The tips that we're providing and making available on our Facebook page are the types of advice that will help students approach personal branding in the right way.'

Paul explains that creating a personal brand is crucial before applying for jobs.

'Good grades are just the start. In addition to having good grades, students need a lot more today to differentiate themselves and stand out from the crowd…a unique story to tell highlighting and focusing on their strengths [will help] to determine their personal brand,' she said.

Paul believes perfecting an 'elevator pitch,' a short, distinct speech describing what an employee is looking for in a job and the experiences he or she can bring to a company, is an important step toward perfecting an individual's brand.

'One of the first places to start [when applying for jobs], and I think it's incredibly important, is first to have an elevator pitch that students develop and keep in their back pocket that they can pull out in all settings,' she said.

Experts from Personal Brand Week also mentioned that students should remain open to change in their future when applying for a position in a company.

'This relates to them understanding and being able to answer the questions that come up in interview … [like] ‘Where do you see yourself in five years?' Paul said. 'It's a critical question that students need to be able to nail because it focuses on being open to change and being able to explain what your interests are … and setting some goals.'

PwC hires 2,000 interns each year nationwide and 2,500 students for full-time positions in accounting fields. Paul looks for certain characteristics when recruiting students for the company.

'[I look for] communication skills; the ability to network and build relationships; and students who really have a passion and are energized, enthusiastic and focused on things that they are interested in,' she said.

Paul advises students to develop their leadership skills outside of the college classroom. Activities like clubs and intramurals will help them to build their network and foster important skills.

'You don't have to do everything … but look out across opportunities available to you and [the] sorts of things that you can get involved in, and try to pick a few things you like and things that are different to explore … they will open the door to future opportunities,' she said.

Paul recommends that students not only give a description on their résumé of the activities that they were involved in, but also that they describe the impact that they made while involved. This description demonstrates their passion and enthusiasm, which are key elements to take with them into a job setting.

Paul also advises students to include their network and relationships on their résumé, as both are crucial to their success.

'Networking is absolutely critical and it's not just who you know, it's the breadth of your network … make sure that you're bringing the personal brand that you want to exhibit and behave in ways that will carry forth into the future,' she said.

It's imperative for students to remain in contact with members from their network, as it creates new opportunities for their future, Paul explains.

However, many students take advantage of media outlets like Twitter and Facebook to do so, often forgetting that their accounts may contain compromising photographs and other information.

'What's really important for students to understand is your online brand is an extension of your personal brand … if you're going to be putting things out there that you wouldn't want people to see, [you should be careful because] your friends that you have today will turn into business contacts in the future,' Paul said.

While students are busy developing their network, they should also take advantage of internships. Whether paid or unpaid, internships are an excellent opportunity for them to gain invaluable experience and also develop an understanding of what their chosen industry is like.

'We know a career is a marathon, it's not a sprint, and we know that students, as [with] many people, don't know what, exactly, they will be doing in the future,' Paul said. 'But you want to act like you're [looking forward] to the future and looking [at] what path it will take you down.'

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com