Lack of oversight

Report finds Binghamton Administration at fault for scandal

Binghamton University was enjoying its recent basketball success with its first berth in the NCAA men's tournament last March, but the dream ended last week.
SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher ordered the investigation into Binghamton's athletic program. The probe's findings were published in a nearly 100-page report about how the University's administration, mainly the school's president and athletic director, allowed the basketball program to go haywire.
The repercussions from the fallout could be detrimental for all SUNY schools. Some might argue that what occurs at one school has no bearing on another. They would be incorrect.
More eyes will be on athletic programs, looking for misconduct. The fact remains unchanged that these student-athletes are, in fact, students first. The litany of misconduct that occurred at Binghamton is amazing.
The report states that players and assistant coaches discussed cash payments and help with homework and papers. Even the head coach lobbied on behalf of players to get failing grades changed.
In fact, one athletic official asked an admissions officer, 'What do you care if we have six guys who don't go to class?'
The coaches seemed to care more about covering up these infractions than punishing players. Another example of this is the assistant coach who helped a player pay a fine after the player stole condoms from Wal-mart.
Many of the infractions have been in the sphere of academics. Binghamton has built its academic reputation as the crown jewel of the State University of New York system.
It's all been wiped away in one shot.
President of Binghamton University Lois DeFleur will work hard to implement the changes the probe suggests until her retirement in July. Athletic Director Joel Thirer already has resigned as news of the scandal broke.
Head men's basketball coach Kevin Broadus has been placed on administrative leave and, in all likelihood, will not be asked to return. This is a very big blow.
The situation isn't easy for Zimpher to clean up. The school's president is leaving, its athletic director is gone and it will be hiring a new head coach. The probe will be turned over to the NCAA, which will decide if any penalties are warranted for the university's actions.
It may be naive to think that college athletics is completely clean, but surely winning football and basketball games cannot be more important than giving young Americans an education.
Athletics provides a great deal to the university setting, such as school spirit and common gatherings for students to visit and cheer on classmates.
It is deeply troubling when schools tend not to care. It leaves a bad taste for anyone who loves college basketball and fans of Binghamton athletics.
Maybe this incident is just another warning sign of what American society values — winning at all costs. It doesn't matter how it's achieved.
In its hunt for athletic supremacy, Binghamton admitted several transfer players with academic and legal problems. One even left the country on bail.
Every college in the United States should have an oversight officer to make sure that priorities on programs are to make sure student-athletes get an education and that coaches are role models who follow the rules.
The ones who aren't are snake oil salesmen and hurt the integrity of their school, their sports and, most importantly, their players.