Sunday, April 28, 2024

Council member wanted

While Student Association elections are sure to receive publicity over the next few months, an important position outside of the 350 Student Union office is ready to be filled.
Feb. 13 marked the first day for students interested in becoming the next student representative on the University Council to begin campaigning.
'The best part about being on the UB Council is having the opportunity to meet with the school's administrators and community leaders,' said John Martin, a senior business major and current UB Council representative. 'And also, [the representative gets to] share the student's concerns and views with [the leaders] on various issues.'
Although the position isn't paid, the benefits of the job are significant. As a business major, Martin enjoys learning how a large organization like UB operates.
A student wishing to apply for the position must be in good academic standing and obtain 300 signatures of support, which will be verified by the Council of Student Governments Election Committee.
'An important [quality] is that the student should be involved in a wide range of campus avenues,' said Nick Baxter, an SA delegate. 'How can a student represent the student body without first being involved?'
Martin agrees that the UB Council representative should be in touch with the student body and their needs as well as being an assertive individual.
'It is very easy to become intimidated by the administrators and community leaders that are looking for your opinion,' Martin said. 'They … need [your outlook], though, because they are unaware of the student perspective.'
The committee consists of three student government representatives. Members include Baxter, Cragg Chaffee, president of Sub-Board I, Inc. and Nicole Jowsey, president of the Graduate Student Association. Mike Lewis, student activities associate of Student Life, will also be involved.
All nine of the student governments on campus were invited to have a member in the Committee.
'Our committee is in charge of holding, running and making sure all the rules and regulations [of the election] are being followed,' Baxter said.
Rules the representative must follow include running as an independent party, spending a maximum of $300 on campaigning, and campaigning in a limited number of areas around campus.
Candidates who break these rules could face community service hours, expulsion from the election or further action taken by the Student-Wide Judiciary, according to Baxter.
All candidates will be briefed and given a list of rules to follow when they pick up their petitions.
Along with a committee ready to enforce the rules and see that a fair election is held, this year's election will bring some new changes.
While in the past, elections have been held through a very basic interface on UBlearns, this election will be utilizing new software that will look like a physical polling booth.
'Having the election online is a great way of cutting out the red tape that other elections have,' Baxter said.
Baxter also added that utilizing UBlearns is a more secure alternative to using booths.
Martin hopes that the new UB Council representative is prepared to undertake the responsibility required by the position and will remain confident in overcoming the upcoming challenges.
'As for advice for my successor, I would tell them that they should not be intimidated by the
administrators and community leaders that you may be giving a contradictory view to,' Martin said. 'In fact, the council and administrators are very open and appreciate student views.'
Petitions are now available for any student wishing to apply for the position and must be completed by March 19.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com