Apathy and ignorance are far too common

Learning a foreign language is not a waste of time

To the editor,

'An argument can be made for history, science and mathematics to a certain extent, but how can requiring a second language be so important?'

If you were wondering, that's when my friend and I started growling at the paper. As an engineering major taking German for kicks and a political science major with a Spanish minor, we were absolutely heated when we read 'Say ‘Ciao' to foreign language.' The idea that a rudimentary knowledge of a language other than your own is a waste of time is absolutely ridiculous.

Sure, conjugating verbs is obnoxious; I don't think I have ever met anyone that enjoyed it. But that's not all that learning a language is, and anyone that says so is boldface liar. Intro level language classes teach you more than that; you get a sense of the culture that goes with the language, a glimpse into what makes that society the way it is. It's impossible to truly understand a culture without understanding their language and in our more and more globalized world, this is only going to grow in importance.

The idea that a foreign language will fail to help in a future career is, without a doubt, false. Higher pay and more exciting opportunities are all available when you put 'proficient in . . .' on your resume. And your major, Signore Parrino, is not excluded from this. Communications is focused on the ability of the person to interact with and create an understanding with others; what better way to do that than speaking, even on some basic level, another language? Besides, if being a sports writer is your goal, wouldn't covering the World Cup reaction in Italy be a pretty sweet gig?

Basic knowledge of a foreign language isn't just useful in terms of getting a job, but also in improving English grammar. You say you should be improving your English writing? I don't know about you, but I didn't even know what the subjunctive was until I took Spanish 3. Our educational system does not do a great job teaching us the nuances of our own language; the first time many people encounter these grammatical aspects is in a foreign language class.

The use of 'well rounded' as a pejorative is just infuriating. The amount of incompetency in our workforce is not the result of an effort to give students a decent knowledge of the world. Gen eds are an effort to eliminate this ignorance in a society where apathy has become a way of life. Our education is meant to make us functioning, informed members of society; any attempt at that should be celebrated.

While I'm glad that the article wasn't a racist 'We speak English in Amerrrrrrica' argument, I think that it represents an apathy and ignorance that are both troubling and far too common in our society.

Alanna Wellspeak

Senior Spanish and political science major

amw43@buffalo.edu

Jenna Curry

Senior mechanical engineering and physics

jcurry3@buffalo.edu