Taking down cancer

What: Fundraiser / Cancer Awareness Event

Where: Alumni Arena Main Gym

When: Saturday, Jan. 30 @ 1 p.m.

As a wrestler, you rely on your instincts to take down your opponent on the mat. But what do you do when you're involved in an internal fight where grappling doesn't matter?

Jeff Parker would tell you to never quit.

This past summer around the fourth of July, Parker, a University at Buffalo alumni who was a member of the wrestling team, went to the doctor because he felt a pain inside of his neck. After going through many tests, the doctors determined that he had melanoma – the most dangerous type of skin cancer.

He quickly had surgery to remove the cancer and, after finishing chemotherapy, looked as though he won the battle. Unfortunately, the cancer spread to other areas of his body and melanoma is now threatening his liver.

Despite the bad news, Parker refuses to give up his fight. He is currently involved in a special treatment trial and receives an injection to combat the cancer every three weeks. As he fights on, he continues to work hard everyday. On top of being the construction manager for the Kraft Group in Foxboro Mass., he coaches wrestling at Franklin High School in Franklin, Mass.

His character never went unnoticed while he was here at Buffalo.

'[Parker] was one of those regular guys who you meet, and instantly like,' said head coach Jim Beichner. 'He can talk to anybody, he's a happy friendly guy, and he just gets along with everybody… Sometimes people exaggerate about a person's character when they go through something like this, but I'm not exaggerating. He's just a great guy.'

Parker refuses to feel sorry for himself; instead, he empathizes with others who are in a similar situation.

"Anytime you have cancer, you're going to see other people with it," Parker said in a press release. "To see the kids, who you know are sick, just get out of their car, grab their crutches and get going into the doctor's [office] with smiles on their faces because they don't know any better, it gives you a bit more perspective."

After hearing the devastating news this past summer, two of his former teammates, Joe Muscarella and Mickey Moran, took the initiative to create a fundraising event that would both enlighten people about melanoma cancer and raise money for Parker's own cause. According to Beichner, the first though that crossed their minds was a cancer fundraiser.

Though the idea began locally, it has spread throughout the state. The New York State Collegiate Coaches Association plans to adopt the Take Down Cancer idea and hopes that all 23 state universities will hold this event at their school annually.

'It's going to be bigger and better every year,' Beichner said. 'And it all started with two young men from our program.'

The wrestling team appreciates every donation that they've received so far and hopes to see a packed Alumni Arena on Saturday in support of not only Parker, but for all of those who are fighting cancer. The event not only has giveaways, but it also precedes the Bulls' matchup against the Ohio Bobcats.

'We're hoping to have a lot of fun,' Beichner said. 'We've got tremendous auction items and we're wrestling Ohio University so we're excited to get strong support for our match. We also want to raise a lot of money.'

And they're on the right track. So far, thanks to many private donations and raffle tickets, the program has raised over $13,000, more than expected.

The money will be distributed between Carly's Club in Buffalo, NY, the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Boston, Mass., and the Parker family, whose insurance may not cover all costs. There will be a $3 cover charge to enter the event and raffle tickets cost $10 each and can be purchased at the ticket office in Alumni Arena. The first place prize is a 50-inch Samsung Plasma HD television.

Parker isn't the first UB athlete to combat cancer. Track and Field senior thrower Jake Madonia successfully defeated synovial sarcoma – soft tissue cancer – and never skipped a beat while doing so. He didn't miss much school and was never absent from practice. Despite having a hole in his foot, Madonia still qualified for the 2008 Empire State Games, however, was unable to compete.

Madonia, who fought through tough times, won the 2009 Giant Steps Award for his courage and commitment. Although he was expected to redshirt this year in order to fully recover, he pushed through the tribulations and, so far this season, has been competing with his teammates. When he heard about the event, he immediately showed his full support by donating $1,000 to the cause.

Most people don't have $1,000 to donate, but if you want to help, buying a raffle ticket is a easy way to support the cause.

E-mail: sports@ubspectrum.com