"Cuts make UB stumble, but not fall"

The UB Council met on Monday morning to discuss how the recent budget cuts would affect the UB 2020 plan. UB officials are trying to remain optimistic despite further budget cuts and student protests.

Student representative John Martin spoke about the overall feeling around campus regarding the school's financial situation to ensure that student voices weren't ignored.

'The students have reacted to the budget cuts,' Martin said. 'There were many students [protesting outside of Capen] to speak out against the governor's plan. These changes have serious implications here on campus.'

He explained that students are not pleased with the tuition hike and the loss of funding. However, they also realize that the situation could be worse and are relieved that the cost for school has only been raised by 2 percent. He cited schools in California that have been hit much harder than many of the SUNY institutions.

Some students and faculty members have expressed a desire to cut athletic funding in order to redistribute money into other programs within the school. Martin does not agree with this idea and instead thinks that school sports are good way to gain the support of Buffalo.

'I think it's very important for UB to keep funding Division I sports,' Martin said. '[Sports] are the fastest and easiest ways to get more community involvement.'

With the recent $90 million cut, many have wondered how the school can receive less money and still be able to afford the UB 2020 project.

'The financial base [for UB 2020] is eroding,' said UB President John B. Simpson. 'Not only is it eroding, but it's pushing the timetable [for UB 2020] back.'

Without proper funds, it is growing more and more difficult for the school to start new projects, he said. Though a short-term plan is in action, Simpson said it is hard to determine any long-term initiatives because the school's financial future is uncertain.

Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher has aided in the creation of a SUNY-wide strategic plan to help guide the development of New York's state schools for the next five years and continue to advise them for the next 10. The goal of the plan is to gather observations, suggestions, ideas and comments as well as engage stakeholders.

'The State University of New York and New York State are facing extraordinary challenges,' Zimpher said in a statement. 'That's why it is essential that SUNY identify and establish system-wide strategic priorities that will advance our mission while stimulating New York's economic recovery and increasing SUNY's capacity to better serve all New Yorkers.'

Simpson explained the major problems that the university is facing. Since April of 2008, the University at Buffalo's budget has been reduced by $40 million. He realizes that the financial situation is affecting schools nationwide, but he is concerned with the combination of receiving less money and increasing tuition in Buffalo.

'You can easily understand how removing $40 million can affect a school,' Simpson said. 'If you take the budget cuts and the increase in tuition, we're about $70 million behind for UB 2020.'

New York State also significantly limits how much control the president has over funding. Since Simpson is not in control of how much he pays the faculty and can't dictate where much of the school's money goes, he realizes that his jurisdiction is limited.

A major concern is that the school has lost 30 faculty members in the last year. Without offering high salaries, the school is unable to attract better professors and thus can't improve the university's academic quality.

Still, despite the budget cuts, many projects for UB 2020 already have the necessary funding and some are even under construction.

On North Campus, workers have started constructing the new School of Engineering and Applied Sciences building, as well as a South Ellicott Housing building that is expected to house 622 students.

On South Campus, work has begun on Kapoor Hall, which will be used for the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, as well as a Harriman Quadrangle.

Although many new buildings are already under construction, if the school intends to complete the plan by 2020, a significant amount of funding from outside sources will be needed. Aside from state funds, federal funds and campus funds, the university is in dire need of private investors.

The cuts and tuition hikes may be a setback, but the goal remains in sight and the UB Council will not cease in creating initiatives to establish funding. It will do all it can to continue the UB 2020 project.

'We have worked hard to reach our long-term goals and will do everything we can to accomplish UB 2020,' Simpson said. 'Our long-term goal remains unchanged.'

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com