The wonderful mayor of Seven Hills

Talk about doing something meaningful with your life.

In an age where graduation equals moving back into your parents' house and becoming a professional waiter/couch potato until further notice, it is a comfort to know there are still overachievers striving to make the world a better place.

David Bentkowski has made it his personal mission in life to give back to his hometown.

Bentkowski, of Seven Hills, Ohio, has amassed an impressive list of accomplishments at a very young age.

After graduating from the University of Toledo in three years, Bentknowski went on to law school. He not only became a practicing attorney, but also the youngest councilman in Ohio when he was elected in 1994 at age 23. He was then elected mayor of Seven Hills in 2003.

In addition to going above and beyond in his mayoral duties, which is definitely not just a job, Bentkowski has made it his goal to bring his beloved town into the national spotlight.

How, you may ask. The answer borders on genius.

Bentkowski uses his title to issue proclamations, or keys to the city, to famous movie stars, athletes and other celebrities across the country.

As can be imagined, a variety of experiences and memorable stories have emerged from such a practice.

Bentkowski chronicles his successes and failures with issuing said proclamations to over 100 celebrities in his recent book 'The Power of the Proclamation: Meet Mayor David Bentkowski.' The book is a lighthearted, fun romp through one ordinary guy's encounters with the rich and famous.

'The premise [of the book] is to poke fun at celebrities' vanity by giving them these proclamations,' Bentkowski said.

The stories that ensue are both touching and hilarious.

I had the pleasure of meeting the Honorable Mayor when he personally made The Spectrum office the second stop on his nationwide book tour. A former life editor himself, he understood the job I have, and the daily ups and downs that come with working in a newsroom.

'I love to visit colleges,' Bentkowski confessed. 'One of my fondest memories [as a newspaper staff member] was the Gulf War breaking out after a long day of production. We stayed up all night creating a completely new issue, and wound up being the first paper in Ohio to cover it.'

The book centers on Bentkowski's adventures meeting various celebrities, including, but not limited to, Howard Stern, Martha Stewart, Justin Timberlake, O.A.R., Nick Lachey and Norah Jones.

The encounters range from civil to completely absurd, completely exposing both the unexpected kindness and overwhelming rudeness of famous people.

'[My book] doesn't sugarcoat who is cool and who's a jerk,' Bentkowski said.

One of the most interesting connections Bentkowski describes is the unexpected friendship he forged with The Apprentice reality star Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth. The pair, who met unexpectedly at a Cleveland charity function, have since become an odd couple and lifelong friends.

Throughout the narrative, Bentkowski is sure to remind us that his reason for seeking out these people is purely professional – he always kept the best interests for his city in mind.

Each chapter describes how the individual character helped shape his life, both as a man and as mayor. Throughout the book, readers feel his devotion to his family, his political and charity work, and the state of Ohio.

Bentkowski's Midwestern upbringing and all-American values also make up a large part of the narrative, and his old-school notions of patriotism and respect for one's elders are refreshing.

'[My book] is written for a younger audience; those age 18 to 40 will love it. It's a light read for anyone who loves pop culture. I want people to see how my stories parlayed into me becoming mayor,' he said.

'The Power of the Proclamation: Meet Mayor David Bentkowski' is available exclusively via www.poweroftheproclamation.com. If ordered before Dec. 4th, the mayor will sign it personally.

'It's a great gift for anyone who loves celebs,' Bentkowski said.

E-mail: shane.fallon@ubspectrum.com