Wednesday, May 15, 2024

The Boss rocks the night away

This just had to be something special.

The final show of a two-year long tour. Many people think that it could be the last show ever.

With expectations through the roof, it was uncertain if Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band could fulfill that promise.

Luckily, that fear was put to rest the moment they walked onto the stage.

On Sunday night, Springsteen and his crew put on a brilliant show at HSBC Arena – one of epic proportions. The show, which lasted four hours long, was thrilling to fans each and every second.

As Springsteen launched into the opening number, 'Wrecking Ball,' it was abundantly clear that his voice had lost none of its power, especially for such a new tune. While other rock legends like Mick Jagger and Roger Daltrey can't scream anywhere near like they used to, Springsteen can still belt it out with the best of them.

After pleasing the crowd with 'The Ties That Bind,' 'Working On A Dream,' and the immortal 'Hungry Heart,' the band launched into the heart of their performance – a complete rendition of Springsteen's debut album, Greetings from Asbury Park, New Jersey. When they launched in the opening number, 'Blinded By the Light,' the crowd knew they were in for quite a treat.

One particularly poignant moment came halfway through 'Growin' Up,' when Springsteen told the story of how he first met the E Street Band's legendary saxophonist, Clarence Clemons. The audience loved the story, and applauded thoroughly every time that Springsteen finished a sentence.

As wonderful as that moment was, the emotional climax of this portion of the show came during the album's centerpiece, 'Lost In the Flood.' This was a monumental performance, with every band member at the top of their game, especially keyboardist Roy Bittan, who performed several killer solos throughout the night.

The performance created so much noise and energy that it sounded like the apocalypse was coming. When the song was over, the audience must have felt lucky to have survived.

When the album's final track, 'It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City' was finished, the crowd waited with baited breath, wondering what The Boss could possibly have in store for them next. He responded by giving them two more hours of rock and roll at its loosest, craziest, and best.

During this portion of the set, Springsteen performed many of his classic hits, including 'Born To Run,' 'Thunder Road,' and 'Dancing In The Dark.' He also took time to take requests from the audience, who followed the tradition of making numerous colorful signs announcing their wishes. These numbers included 'Waitin' On A Sunny Day,' a lost gem from 2002's The Rising, and the eternal crowd favorite 'Santa Claus Is Coming To Town.'

For the encore, Springsteen brought out legendary guitarist and Buffalo native Willie Nile for a cover of Jackie Wilson's '(You're Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher,' which had the crowd absolutely enthralled as it sung along to every word. The band's last song was a wicked rendition of John Fogerty's 'Rockin' All Over the World.'

Throughout the night, Springsteen never lost a bit of energy.

It is unknown if this really is the band's last show. Springsteen But if it is, it certainly went out with a bang. When it was over everyone, had lost their hearing, and no one cared.

Now that's what rock and roll is all about.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com