Pajama dance party

The beats were booming, the people were grooving and no one was snoozing during the third annual Stay-Up UB Dance Marathon in the Student Union on Friday.

Students, Greek Life and athletes filled the union-turned-dance floor that was fully equipped with a DJ, a video screen and people ready to dance for charity from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m.

If participants needed a break from 'shakin' it,' they could relax with board games, Guitar Hero, Dance Dance Revolution, a variety of crafts and poker.

Because the event was organized to build UB pride, Stay-Up UB staffers gave groups and individuals Monopoly money throughout the night to honor their spirit.

'We gave out prizes for the most spirited individual and the most spirited group,' said Leah Doctor, a senior communication major and head of the sponsorship committee. 'It was motivation for the students to stay longer and dance or participate in games.'

According to Doctor, students who started dance party circles or participated in and won games were given spirit points. The group or individual that had the most spirit points at the end of the night won the spirit award.

'The first place winners were given trophies and the second and third place winners were given gift certificates to Rachel's [Mediterranean Food],' Doctor said.

Almost 500 students and community members registered for the event. Brian Magee, a coordinator and graduate assistant for student activities, was pleased with the turnout.

'[Students] don't have to come to this, but they know it's for a good cause, so they choose to come to it,' Magee said. 'We've been planning [Stay-Up UB] since September ... seeing it all come together is the best part.'

The event, organized by the Center for Student Leadership and Community Engagement, raised money for the Pajama Program, a charity that provides pajamas and books for children in homeless shelters. This year, registrants had the option of donating a new pair of children's pajamas in lieu of paying the $10 registration fee.

Tiffany Onorato, another coordinator and graduate assistant for student activities, felt that the Pajama Program was a great choice.

'It's a nationwide charity, but they have a Buffalo chapter,' Onorato said. 'It's only run by a few people, so when they found out that we wanted to help out, they were really excited about it.'

Allie Funk, a sophomore film studies and psychology major, participates in Stay-Up UB with her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma every year and enjoys seeing all of the various groups performing. She thinks that the true purpose of the event is to unite the UB community, and she believes it succeeds in doing so.

'It's something that [the sorority does] every year and it's something that we really get into,' Funk said. 'Bonding reminds us that we are all one student body.'

Victor E. Bull danced his tail off and posed with students for photos, which were displayed on the walls of the Student Union.

Students got a taste of every style of dance, from jazz and hip-hop to swing and break dance. The dance party gave student groups the chance to show off their skills.

Though all of the performances had the crowds going, the showstopper of the evening came in the form of absurdly high heels and heavy stage make up.

Natasha Michaels's drag performance to 'Dollhouse' by Priscilla Renea was the final act of the evening. Her provocative choreography and sassy attitude left the crowd wanting more.

Michaels, who hosted the event last year, was asked to host again by popular demand. She said she takes any opportunity to perform at UB because she appreciates the school unity.

'UB is amazing … the crowd participation is great. I like being somewhere that enjoys the art of drag,' Michaels said. 'I know I'm doing my job right if they're clapping and having a good time.'

Asst. Life Editor Rachel Lamb also contributed to this article.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com