Tuesday, May 07, 2024

"Five senses, five pleasures"

With the stresses of school, work and daily drudgeries of life, students' relationships and sex lives often fall to the bottom of an already lengthy priority list.

However, sex is a great option to forgo the stress and find the passion and love that was once there.

While purchasing playful toys, erotic lotions and sexy lingerie might assist in creating a memorable experience, the costs can add up quickly.

Luckily, students are equipped with everything they need to create an exciting, thrilling and heart racing night, turning their bedroom from a place meant for sleep into a sexual fantasy and haven with their five senses.

Sight, smell, touch, taste and sound are often taken for granted and forgotten about. However, these five secret weapons can turn another dull night in bed into something unforgettable, and a little more pleasurable.

According to Dr. Laura Berman, director of the Berman Center and sex educator and sex therapist, eye contact is an imperative aspect when creating interest and forming a relationship.

A strong message can be communicated by lingering eyes, especially in the bedroom when conveying thoughts of intimacy.

Dr. Berman recommends a Tantric technique called soul-gazing to create sexual energy and promote sexual health.

When sitting in bed, the two partners should intently stare into each other's eyes. Partners can also place their hands across each other's hearts to synchronize their breathing and prolong the process.

By gazing into one another's eyes, a connection and deeper bond is formed between partners.

When it comes to smell, partners need not lie in bed and sniff each other. That's simply odd, and a waste of precious time.

Dr. Berman recommends burning aromatic oils like vanilla, patchouli and ylang-ylang.

For men in particular, Dr. Berman mentions leaving out surprising scents like pumpkin pie and lavender, as they have been shown to increase blood flow to the reproductive organ by 40 percent. Licorice and banana bread, both equally peculiar, seem to create arousal for women.

Instead of placing another lackluster apple and spice Yankee candle on one's bedside table, couples should explore the pleasures of unique scents.

While burning an arousing scent, Dr. Berman advises couples to use the sense of touch because in its absence, sex simply can't happen.

The act of touching releases a hormone called oxytocin, or 'the cuddle hormone.' According to Dr. Berman, oxytocin levels are elevated in response to physical contact, and the more touching that occurs, the better a person will feel.

It's important to remember that although touching can get a little naughty under the covers, women also crave nonsexual touching like a backrub or a deep embrace.

When getting caught up in the act of sex and all the passion it evokes, be sure not to neglect these innocent forms of touching, as they too can convey messages of love and connection.

Most couples tend to shy away from embracing the sense of taste. However, they are missing out on a blissful experience as Dr. Berman refers to the mouth as 'a portal to pleasure.'

She recommends bringing colorful fruits like strawberries and papayas into the bedroom, and even vegetables like carrots and celery. Partners can easily feed these to one another with their fingers, paying close attention to the sensation of textures and flavors in their mouths.

When eaten in the bedroom, dessert is much more enjoyable, and a tad sexier.

Dr. Berman recommends honey, hot fudge and whipped cream, and although these can get a little messy and sticky, that's part of the fun. Partners should use these foods to explore the uncharted territories of each other's bodies, enjoying the sweet taste of the experience.

Last but certainly not least, Dr. Berman describes how to bring the sensation of sound into couple's sex lives.

Research has shown the correlation between a couple's idealization of each other and the success of their relationship, according to Dr. Berman. The more compliments a partner hears, the better the relationship will do, both in and out of bed.

She explains that men love to hear the sounds of their partner enjoying sex, and by becoming more verbal, both partners will feel an instant boost in their arousal.

Dr. Berman believes that it's not simply about talking dirty, but also about expressing emotional feelings and sexual cravings to one another. The sense of sound is like a natural aphrodisiac, bringing partners to new a new sexual plateau and a ensuring a night of pleasure.

With the semester coming to its close, it's difficult for many to escape the menacing jaws of stress. However, students can avoid these negative feelings by engaging in sexual activity with their partner and becoming more attuned to their five senses. Ultimately, both mental and physical health will improve.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com