Bingo for a cause

An excited woman jumps up from the middle of a crowd of people.

'Bingo!' she exclaims.

Though this is typical in most bingo tournaments across the country, the scene was slightly different on Saturday at St. John's Grace Episcopal Church on Colonial Circle in Buffalo.

Instead of the booster club mothers and elderly deacons, half of the crowd was comprised of drag queens dressed as glittering superheroes - which were encouraging the rest of the participants to holler derogatory names at the winners.

Welcome to Buffalo Gay Bingo night.

'It's a lot of fun and a lot of laughs. It's definitely not your typical bingo,' said event founder Michael Warner.

Warner started the event in the summer of 2006 to raise money for his Buffalo AIDS Plus fund. The fund is a non-profit organization that provides services to groups helping those affected by HIV and AIDS. The organization has given away over $30,000 so far, Warner said.

Held the second Saturday of each month – except for July and August, because the church doesn't have air conditioning – Buffalo Gay Bingo draws crowds of an avant-garde appeal.

Last Saturday's superhero-themed bingo brought over 200 bingo players to the venue. The church had to turn away about 50 people because no more could fit.

Gladys Over, the bingo's star drag queen and host, opened with a stand-up routine and cracked vulgar jokes that had the audience rolling in laughter.

Over then started the game but immediately shifted it away from a typical game of bingo. Over started with B-1 and instructed the audience to burst into the chorus of 'One Singular Sensation' from the musical A Chorus Line. For B-2, she prompted them to chant, 'B-two, B-two' to the tune of the Pink Panther theme song.

After she was done reading the rules, the players pledged the gay bingo oath.

'I solemnly swear that I'm here to help people living with HIV and AIDS,' the pledge said. 'I will keep playing gay bingo until this crisis is over.'

Cassandra Pershyn, a library science graduate student, said supporting those affected by HIV is one of the reasons why she has been a participant of Buffalo Gay Bingo for the past year.

'It's a great charity to support,' Pershyn said. 'You never feel guilty about spending the money because of where it's going. It's a good feeling.'

But Pershyn said entertainment also factors into her decision.

'[Gay Bingo] is a blast,' Pershyn said. 'You laugh and win money.'

Christie Mattes made the trip from SUNY Brockport for the laughs.

'I specifically came home to come to [play] gay bingo,' Mattes said. 'It's hilarious. They [joke] and make fun of people in the crowd. And Gladys definitely makes [the show].'

Admission is $5 per game or $20 all-night play. The money raised goes to a different local organization helping those living with HIV and AIDS each month. The Benedict House, which provides supportive living to patients, was the recipient of last Saturday's bingo proceeds.

According to Warner, the need to help those affected by the disease propelled him to create the event and continue it into its fourth season.

'I have had some [things happen] in my life that made me realize there's a lot of [people in need] out there,' Warner said. 'Gay Bingo takes a lot of energy and time sometimes, but the result is that you're helping a lot of people. It's been great doing it and seeing it grow.'

The next bingo will be held on Dec. 12. The doors open at 6 p.m. and the program begins at 7 p.m. Warner encourages everyone to attend and arrive at least an hour early.

'The next [theme] is White Christmas,' Warner said. 'That will be creative – be prepared to see a lot of light.'

Over appreciates the number of diverse people who turn out to support gay bingo.

'I get to see the gay and straight community come together and have a great time,' Over said. 'It breaks down barriers.'

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com