What could have been

The fat lady is warming up her vocal chords as the light at the end of the tunnel is quickly fading on the Buffalo Bills' season.

Western New York was once abuzz in anticipation of the 2009 season. I can't remember another off-season with so much hype for a team that hasn't had a winning season in five years.

Just three weeks ago, I stated that I couldn't help but be excited for the potential of the team.

Now the only thing I'm excited for is the eventual firing of Dick Jauron.

Barring a modern day miracle, Buffalo will miss out on the playoffs for a 10th straight season. At 1-4, the Bills have found a familiar home in the cellar of the AFC East standings, and have made a strong case as the NFL's worst team.

Offensively, the Bills have been a disaster. Ranked 25th in the league, the unit has averaged just 15.4 points per game. Trent Edwards has been dreadful, Lee Evans has been invisible and the offensive line couldn't protect its quarterback from a group of circus clowns.

The defense has been ravaged by key injuries. And the coaching staff – well, I won't get started on them.

I have been a Bills fan my entire life and I have to say that this is one of the lowest points in the franchise's history. Buffalo has hit rock bottom.

I can't throw in the towel just yet, but there's little reason for me to believe that I should hold onto it any longer. After I saw Bills fans turn on each other at the Ralph last Sunday, I realized there's little hope.

So where did it all go wrong?

To say Jauron is a terrible coach would be an understatement. His emotionless body walks the sidelines on gameday with no confidence in his players. He has turned the team into a mediocre mess and a laughingstock in the league.

But as much as I want to put full blame on Jauron and his staff, I can't. The story of the Bills blunders goes deeper than the Jauron era.

Success of an NFL team is based upon the annual collegiate draft. A series of strong draft classes can bring in a talented group of players to build the core of a franchise.

I think the Bills have missed that memo.

The last time Buffalo made the playoffs was 1999. In the 10 drafts since then, the Bills have selected six times inside the top 15 picks, including a top-five pick in 2002. Of the 84 total players drafted, only 33 are currently on the active roster. At the beginning of this year, a meager 18 of those players were starters. Of the 12 first-round selections, seven remain and only five start.

Buffalo has hardly drafted two starters per year through 10 drafts. That's not a recipe for success.

Rather than trading a first-round pick for J.P. Losman, Buffalo could have waited a year and taken Pro Bowler DeMarcus Ware. Had the Bills drafted Keith Bulluck and Dwight Freeney over Erik Flowers and Mike Williams, the defense would have been solid.

Selecting Drew Brees, Dallas Clark and Nick Mangold over Nate Clements, Willis McGahee and John McCargo could've given the offense an identity.

In addition to Jauron, I would like to give special thanks to former head coaches Mike Mularkey and Gregg Williams for their inability to scout and develop talent.

And thank you, Russ Brandon, Marv Levy and Tom Donahoe. Your inept general managing skills have run the franchise into the ground.

It's time for Ralph Wilson to send out an SOS. It's only a matter of time before the Bills ship becomes unsalvageable at the bottom of the NFL sea.

E-mail: joe.paterno@ubspectrum.com