Sobriety: cute and all the rage

Denzel Washington, Natalie Portman and even George W. Bush have become trendsetters.

Amy Winehouse, infamous for her slurred words and wild behavior, is also trying it on. It's probably the cutest thing you could wear. And no, I'm not talking about the season's latest pair of Ugg boots – I'm talking about sobriety.

The trend of sobriety isn't just evident in the realm of celebrity. It's present in the real world, among real people. Some just happen to be more successful at it then others. If you've ever seen an episode of The Dr. Phil House or Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, then you definitely know what I'm talking about.

I've never really thought about the subject of sobriety until recently. My mom and I were watching TV and while flicking through the channels, we stumbled across an episode of Miami Ink. Kat Von D, the tattoo shop owner, was celebrating her two-year sobriety.

My mom turned to me.

'Can you believe that there are people in the world that are actually celebrating not drinking?'

We couldn't fathom the idea.

The idea that one can only have a good time if he or she is drinking is a belief that many may have grown up with. Our culture is too drenched in booze and Budweiser ads to remember that there is a smaller world within the larger society where the opposite holds true.

Prominent CNN news anchor Nancy Grace recently made a comment on her show about her first experience with alcohol. She said she didn't even really know people drank until she went to college. Someone handed her a beer and she poured it in a plant because it tasted bad.

Now that's a woman.

I'm not saying that drinking is for sinners. To say that I've never had an alcoholic beverage would be a lie. But there are good times to be had without the pretense of alcohol. Drinking in moderation or not drinking at all is perfectly fine.

We don't need to be in a perpetual state of unconsciousness and absurdity. It's detrimental to both the body and mind.

I would be in utopian bliss if I lived in a world where when you told someone that you're not much of drinker, or that you're going to pass on the drink they offered, they nod politely, say OK and continue with the conversation. Instead, I'm met with puzzled looks.

Once, when I told someone that I don't go to parties to get smashed out of my mind, they responded, 'Then why go? Good conversation?'

So perhaps that's it. Unlike many European countries, where it's customary to have some wine at dinner to drink for taste, Americans drink to get drunk. We don't want to remember last night and like to hear about our antics through a friend of a friend.

Alcohol serves as an escape from the monotonous routine of class, work, home and repeat. Maybe it serves as an escape from ourselves, because without alcohol, let's just face it: we're boring as hell. And the peer pressure is too overwhelming, so we cave in. After all, what's the least that could happen?

As a Native American, there's increasingly more pressure put on me to drink as I get older. It's in our history and at family parties it's usually the thing to do. Some of my relatives grew up on the reservation and alcohol was always around.

But my parents aren't big drinkers and I think that has a huge effect on whether kids start to drink or not. I feel as if my parents don't want to perpetuate a stereotype or feel like they are not in control of their own actions. I also think that they feel as I do - drinking is not that important to them.

The word sobriety has different meanings for different people: abstinence, moderation, and clear-headedness are a few. Finding the strength to put down the bottle isn't easy. For many, it's a constant struggle from day to day and I truly admire those who have found the strength. I would recommend that others try it on for size.

E-mail: jdbrant@buffalo.edu