A special sort of major

Students looking for a unique degree to take away from their college experience can benefit from a little known part of university academics.

The Special Majors Program at UB offers students the unique opportunity to devise their own program of study and receive a degree not typically offered.

'Existing majors challenge students in a particular discipline or area. [The Special Majors Program] is the exact same process, only the student creates the whole thing,' said John Riszko, senior academic adviser and chair of the Special Majors Committee.

In the past, students have designed majors like religious studies, nutrition, animal science, comparative literature and arts management, according to the program's Web site.

The program was designed 'to provide capable students with an opportunity to create their own academic major program,' according to the Web site.

Far from a free-for-all for students too lazy to select a conventional major, the program requires students to go through an extensive process to gain acceptance.

Special Majors hopefuls must submit a statement of purpose that explains the student's proposed major and how it is more relevant to his or her goals than something already offered at UB.

Students must also select two faculty mentors in addition to an academic adviser. The mentors help the student develop and describe a curriculum and select courses from all relevant departments at UB.

Mentors should have experience in the student's chosen field of study and should at least be assistant professors, according to the Web site.

'[Special Major coursework] must reflect breadth and depth in the student's topical area,' according to the Web site.

The completed proposal is submitted to the Special Majors Committee.

'[Students must submit proposals] in their junior year, and no later than a full semester before graduation. Submitting proposals in the last semester of the student's matriculation or submitting proposals after the completion of all coursework violates the special major's essential deliberative and consultative nature,' according to the Web site.

If the committee rejects a proposal, it can be redrafted. Necessary UB requisites must be fulfilled, and a Degree Audit Card must be completed.

'[The committee meets] two or three times a semester to evaluate each proposal on its individual merit, and are thoroughly committed to undergraduate education,' Riszko said. 'All are specialized, distinguished teaching professors in their field.'

The Special Major Program does come with certain limitations. B.A. and B.S. are the only degrees awarded. Special majors requiring licensing or professional certification may not be proposed, according to the Web site.

A special major, if accepted, may be incorporated into a double major or double degree program.

'Surveys show that special major degrees are as applicable to graduate school or vocational studies as a standard major,' said Riszko. 'It is an opportunity for students to show their full potential, and for the program to be effective in meeting students' educational goals.'

The Special Major Program has recently submitted and approved proposals from animal science to journalism to still and motion picture photography. For more information, visit http://wings.buffalo.edu/cas/students/special_majors, or stop by the Special Majors office located at 275 Park Hall.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com