Budget cuts begin to take toll on UB

The current state of the national market has begun to have a direct and noticeable effect on the University at Buffalo.

???The 2008-09 New York budget included a $21 million permanent cut in state funding for UB. Gov. Paterson's proposed budget for 2009-10 includes even more cuts from the SUNY budget. Ryan McPherson, associate vice president for government and community relations, believes that the worst is yet to come.

???"Make no mistake, it will be painful. Many jobs will be cut, and that is just the beginning," McPherson said. "[Approximately] 300 positions are not filled. Ask any staff member and they will tell you they are starting to feel the pressure of that."

???Although the extent of the cuts is not yet official, the setbacks could cost UB an additional $6 to $9 million per year.

???Since its announcement, UB 2020 has become a major priority for UB workers looking for new and innovative additions to the already prestigious college. McPherson said that the budget cuts would not hinder the program.

???"Students want to know what their tuition will be. They want quality and excellence," McPherson said.

???McPherson believes that the passing of the UB 2020 Flexibility and Economic Growth Act is essential to the success of the campus.

???According to information provided by McPherson, the bill allows for a rational tuition strategy, spending and contracting flexibility, access to market capital and the ability to lease or purchase land and facilities. The community and senate reactions to the bill have been positive, he said.

???"Will there be road bumps? As Sarah Palin would say, 'you betcha,' " McPherson said.

???University officials and local politicians have stated that the UB2020 initiative will bring increased revenue and jobs to the region.

???"[Up to] 9.6 percent of people in Western New York are unemployed. [Around] 52 percent of African Americans in Buffalo are unemployed. Buffalo is the third poorest city in the country. We are trying to put forth a solution for the state while being respectful of the environment we're in," McPherson said.

???Even though the budget cuts will be a huge factor in spending decisions for years to come, McPherson believes UB will continue to be a member of the SUNY system, contrary to several recent rumors that have stated UB is planning to privatize.

???"Do we consider ourselves to have a unique mission in the system? Absolutely," McPherson said.

???Despite a verbal commitment from the administration to do whatever is necessary to ensure the success of UB, students are still worried about the effects of the current economic climate.

"[Obviously] $30 million is a lot of money to lose in budget cuts. I have no idea on how UB plans to cut $30 million out of our budget, but I would guess they would cut spending on student activities, which is just depressing because that is the one of the main reasons I decided to come to UB," said Andrew Cox, a sophomore undecided major.

???Other students are more concerned about possible academic cuts.

???"With the budget loss I believe they will need to cut classes to save money," said Jeffrey Kwan, a freshman physics major.

???Regardless of what the university decides to cut, Kwan believes that the students will face the most losses.

???"The students are the victims," Kwan said.