Sideline appeal

???There is one aspect of life is generally untouched by the thought of love: sports. Whether it's kicking back with a six-pack to watch the Super Bowl or filling out NCAA men's basketball tournament brackets, sporting events are an escape from worrying about the opposite sex.

???Or are they?

???In recent years, sports broadcasting networks have hired beautiful women as sideline reporters and post-game interviewers. Gorgeous faces such as Erin Andrews of ESPN and Charissa Thompson of Fox Sports and the Big Ten Network are top nominees on Playboy's 2009 Sexiest Sportscasters list.

???But are they also top reporters?

???To be honest, most men couldn't tell you if these women are good interviewers or if they offer insightful opinions about the game. Most men are too busy staring at their cleavage to notice what these reporters are actually saying.

???When Rachel Nichols comes on SportsCenter, guys don't comment on what she says, but instead are more concerned about how she looks while she's saying it.

???Steering clear of the gender bias, I objectively pose the question: If women sportscasters are qualified and knowledgeable, why are they seldom heard announcing the play-by-play, or better yet, serving as sports analysts?

???Maybe the answer is because CBS, ESPN, and Fox don't want to lose ratings by wasting a pretty face in the booth. I'm more inclined to believe that either their skill level isn't trusted or they're bumping their heads on the glass ceiling.

???Sideline reporters don't analyze statistics, but instead analyze players' pre-game routines and rituals. They don't talk with offensive coordinators about play choice and game plans, but rather inquire about what the quarterback felt when he was throwing the game-winning pass. Simply put, the sideline reporter's role is secondary and their work is elementary.

???So why do women dominate this less important field and men are entrusted with the more challenging positions?

???Visual appeal.

???Its role in television is undeniable and as brutal as this may sound, sport networks don't want an obese man with a unibrow asking Kobe Bryant for his feelings at halftime.

???Are we, however, putting aesthetic pleasure over quality?

???In regards to this issue, most men simply don't care. They'd much rather be briefly entertained with a fantasy involving Andrews than be fed running back statistics. We watch SportsCenter for that, right guys?

???Though I'm certainly not complaining about the array of pretty faces entering the sports world and I definitely am in support of women finding a place in a male-dominated domain, I wonder if the women who accept these jobs are as complacent as I am.

???Furthermore, I hope that these women maintain their integrity and are selected for their positions based on more than just their looks.

???Nonetheless, sideline reporting and in-game interviewing should only be considered a step up on the ladder for women and their careers. If they're serious about their work, then they won't be content making a living based solely on their looks.