Prime local treat

While Buffalo is not usually known for having a thriving artistic and cultural scene, it certainly does the best with what it's got. The American Repertory Theater of Western New York, located at 545 Elmwood Ave., brings together the best this city has to offer - namely, skilled acting, entertainment and suspense.

Their latest effort, "Smoking Gun Trio: An Evening of One-Acts," proudly utilizes concepts of humor, drama, relationships, comedy, tragedy and the occasional firearm to bring to the audience an enjoyable and entirely authentic theatre-going experience.

The show, which opened on March 19 and runs through April 11, consists of three one-act plays ranging from thirty minutes to an hour. Each act personifies the phrase, "good things come in small packages," the small casts all packing a big wallop.

The first act, "Mechanics," chronicles the efforts of two aspiring magicians (Brian Bernys and Jacob Albarella) as they attempt to convince has-been magic legend Tim Foster (Hugh Davis) to mentor them in the pursuit of perfecting their craft. What looks to be another predictable teacher/student tale quickly turns to something far darker, ultimately ending in a suspenseful showdown.

The second performance, "Dirty Laundry," tells the dysfunctional tale of the relationship between Luciano (Michael Votta) and Zoe (Alaina Renee Miller), which moves backwards, interestingly enough, beginning with the scene of their final breakup and moving to their first meeting.

Both actors are superb. Votta plays the cynical, overwrought "lucky" actor and Miller is perfect as the rigid, aspiring corporate lackey Zoe. The audience is given a distinct perspective on the stages of a courtship and the changes both go through as the proverbial "dirty laundry" piles up.

The third and final number, "Angel in Black," is initially the least likable of the trio. However, as it evolves, a surprisingly profound message on the state of the postmodern art era is divulged. It can best be summarized as a creative and impassioned battle of wits between director James (UB alumnus Drew Derek), screenwriter John (Andrew Michalski), and John's outspoken European girlfriend Holly (Marie Costa).

While the plot is minimal, the dialogue is outstanding. Line after line is perfectly articulated with a dozen comebacks and quips from all parties. The conflicts between the creative and commercial and the underlying question of true originality are fearlessly brought to light in a riveting fashion.

Costa is a standout as the devoted champion of true art. We learn from her that "the most important part of the story is characters" and "tragedy is about the human condition and what it can and cannot endure." She is the embodiment of postmodernist cynicism; the lingering, fiercely optimistic hope for a rich cultural future is apparent in her every breath.

Its not every day one comes across good theater in the post-Beckett era. It is even more rare to come across good theater in a city like Buffalo. But like many good things in life, finding them requires a little digging. With regards to the "Smoking Gun," one will find gold.

This diamond-in-the-rough theater is thoroughly underrated, supremely entertaining and wholeheartedly recommended. Veteran theatergoers will be pleased with its quality, while newcomers will appreciate its honesty and lack of pretentiousness. It's a superb choice when thinking of weekend activities, and one audiences will not soon forget.