Mediterranean cuisine reaches campus

Opening the glass door to the brand-new Rachel's Mediterranean Food on North Campus, customers advance into an open space equipped with vast windows, sweetly pink walls and a welcoming staff dressed in matching red T-shirts.

???Out steps Joseph Khoury, owner of the Middle Eastern-inspired cafe. Khoury welcomes his customers with a booming voice, gesturing for them to choose an item off his menu, which ranges from authentic Mediterranean cuisine to breaded chicken fingers and French fries.

???"With [students'] schedules and time away from their parents, to bring fresh, healthy and homemade dishes is a great opportunity for us, as well as the students," Khoury said.

???The opening of The Commons' newest addition took place last week, bringing in intrigued students ready to put down their Burger King and Subway sandwiches for authentic, homemade and freshly cooked kabobs and gyros.

???Determined to meet every request, Khoury and his staff cater a meal to the customer's needs. They are happy to explain the ingredients of each item, urging fast food eaters to give their hummus and falafels a try.

???This isn't the first restaurant Khoury has opened. Rachel's Caf?(c) and Deli in Williamsville received a positive response when it opened about four years ago, gaining dedicated followers and customers throughout its tenure.

???Inspired by his mother's exceptional talent for cooking Lebanese cuisine, Khoury admits he was encouraged by the public's response to his food and was keen to venture toward the UB campus.

???For the opening of his cafe, Khoury didn't rely heavily upon advertising. Due to the size of the student population, he leaned more toward a soft opening, with a single sign hung on the cafe's door announcing its debut.

???Khoury explained that his success could be attributed to word of mouth. He has won various awards for his delectable food, with reviews published in local newspapers and an appearance on the news.

???Perhaps what Khoury takes most pride in is the quality and freshness of his product. The owner explains that all of the meats served are of top quality from local businesses. Each item on the menu is prepared upon request and nothing is precooked.

???To bite into quality food, customers might think they would have to pay top price. But instead, Khoury has adjusted his prices to make the food more reasonably priced for the college campus. Prices for meals range from $4 to $10 for lunch and up to $13 for dinner.

???Rachel's most popular dishes yet are the open-face chicken souvlakis, falafels, kafta and gyros, all made to order and ready to entice your taste buds.

???While eating the exceptional and affordable cuisine, students can relax and enjoy their meal in a quiet, peaceful and clean environment. The space is open and offers plenty of tables and chairs to its customers. As the aroma of fresh spices dances through the air, students sitting in the dining area will be enthralled by the view of Baird Point from the expansive windows, watching the sunset as it glistens and reflects off Lake LaSalle.

???"It's like opening from back home right on the Mediterranean Sea. You've got water while you're eating," Khoury said.

???Don't let the simple appearance and starkness of the cafe walls fool you. Khoury hopes to put in a television and Mediterranean-inspired artwork to decorate the walls as business progresses, making it the ideal spot for students to sneak away to a quiet atmosphere to eat and even study.

???"[Our goal is] to succeed and keep the students happy by serving some of the freshest and most authentic Mediterranean food ever," Khoury said. "I'm happy to be here and looking forward to a long future. As UB grows, I hope to grow with it."

???The cafe is open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.