"Finally, a reason to love the snow"

???If it's not snowing during Buffalo's winter months then it's windy, and if it's not windy, then freezing rain creates a deathtrap out of the sidewalks and streets. Yet, students continue to flock to UB, taking advantage of brutal winters for a thrill ride down the nearest mountain.

???As the winter sports season approaches every year, students seek a fix for their habitual ski and snowboard habits by assembling in the comfort of UB's own ski club, Schussmeisters.

???On average, the ski club receives 2,100 members per academic year. Weather permitting, the club kicks off their season on Dec. 1 and continues activities until the last weekend of March.

???"[Snow conditions are] definitely better than last year. There's been more snow and the snow started earlier this year also," said Laurent Rappaport, a junior psychology and social sciences major and chairman of Schussmeisters.

???According to Rappaport, snow did not even grace Buffalo with its presence last winter until January, leaving skiers and snowboarders pining for the chance to get out to the mountains.

???With an average temperature of 26 degrees in February, conditions have been better than ever for skiers and snowboarders looking to find solace in the fresh powder of resorts such as Holiday Valley and Kissing Bridge.

???Kissing Bridge lies in the Colden Snowbelt, providing 36 snow-covered slopes to skiers and snowboarders with an average annual snowfall of 180 inches.

???"It's one of our greatest snow conditions ever, actually in a very long time, from what we can remember," said Rachel Fanelli, assistant marketing director of the resort. "We have received so much natural snow and the temperatures have been nice and cold. We have been able to produce a lot of manmade snow."

???Kissing Bridge's season usually begins the second week of December, with an anticipated closing date in late March. However, due to the stellar snow conditions this season, the resort was able to open Nov. 28, starting its long track towards almost 90 days of winter fun, and still counting.

???According to Fanelli, Kissing Bridge hasn't experienced a decline in sales even with the economy in shambles. The resort understands that people in Buffalo, as well as college students, aren't traveling and going away for vacations. Instead, they are looking for something local and cost effective.

???Holiday Valley, finding home one hour from Buffalo, is also having a great year for business, with a season total of 235 inches of snow thus far.

???Jane Eshbaugh, director of marketing at the resort, agrees that it has been one of their most consistent seasons of snow in the last 10 years. Generally, the resort opens the day after Thanksgiving and services remain available until April 12. This year they were able to open 10 days earlier due to plentiful amounts of snow.

???With 500,000 people frequenting Holiday Valley in a normal year, Eshbaugh boasts that the resort is right on track due to great weather patterns, and only had to close one day thus far due to severe wind.

???"This year has been very good weather. A lot snow, and a lot of snow in the markets we draw from... There's just always that thing about Buffalo how it snows and why would anyone want to live here, but it is ideal if you enjoy an outdoor sport," Eshbaugh said.

???As for prime snow conditions, both Eshbaugh and Fanelli agree that it's a personal preference for skiers and snowboarders. Some winter sports enthusiasts prefer icy conditions, while others lean towards powder; it depends on the level of talent and comfort of each individual.

???"This was a great season for snowboarding with the early arrival of snow in November, and despite the temperature changes, snow has been really consistent," said Todd Cwudzinski, a senior philosophy major.

???Schussmeisters still has open spots for their spring break trip from Saturday to Tuesday to Winter Park, Col. The cost of the trip is $1,019 for members and $1,069 for non-members.

???Mother Nature brought with her snow and cold temperatures this year, not disappointing those who are foolish enough to brave the harsh elements. Conditions are better than ever this season, so get out and enjoy the fresh powder before it's gone.