Carefully caring for your car

???As students cruise through the parking lot and diligently stalk students walking to their cars, it is difficult to ignore the vast variety of automobiles.

???Whether it is a 2008 gas guzzling Hummer, or a two-door run down hoopty, it is assured that all cars, age and quality aside, need to be properly taken care of.

???"My car is only two years younger than me," said Jamie Feldman, a sophomore communication major. "Because of [my car's] age, I know that I need to take the best possible care of it in order for it to run as smoothly as possible."

???Feldman makes sure that she takes her car in for service every few months and is aware whenever there seems to be something amiss. Since her car is so old, she has been in many situations where she's needed help from a mechanic. With all the mishaps she believes that she's grown rather car savvy.

???"I used to take one of my guy friends with me whenever I went to the mechanic because I was afraid of getting ripped off," Feldman said. "Now I'm confident whenever there's a problem. I know when my car needs service, have learned a lot of car lingo, and I can even change a tire on my own."

???Though Feldman is an ideal car-owner and holds the necessary knowledge to look after her vehicle, not everyone is as informed as she. A lot of car owners don't know the basics about preserving a car and often are not prepared for the responsibilities that come with automobile ownership.

???For standard maintenance, there are few must-knows.

???For a car to run to its full potential, one should get an oil change every few thousand miles. Though some newer automobile manufacturers claim that their vehicles can last up to 10,000 miles before needing an oil change, letting your motor oil grow contaminated can be detrimental to your car's performance. The fee for this service, according to Joe Russo, owner and manager of Russo's Auto Service, generally costs anywhere from $25 to $40, and he recommends that cars are brought in every 3,000 miles.

???Though getting your car washed is based solely on personal preference, one should have their car waxed at least two times a year. Getting your car waxed not only makes your vehicle look more appealing, but it also protects the car's paint from oxidizing and fading.

???It is important to get your air filters cleaned once a year, or as recommended by Russo, every 15,000 miles. A car's air filter keeps the inside of the engine clean and can increase gas mileage and save you money at the pump.

???Another way to save money on gas is to constantly check your tire's air pressure. If a tire is slightly deflated it makes it difficult for the car to run and will result in using an excess amount of gas.

???"You'll notice a huge decrease in fuel economy if your tires are low," Russo said. "I always equate it to pushing a wheel barrow with a soft tire rather than a firm one. It takes more energy, the same way cars require more gas."

???Buffalo is known for its cold and long winter season. To avoid having your gas freeze over during these bitter months, it is a good idea to keep at least a third of your tank filled with fuel.

???Car owners should be aware of how often they are required to get an inspection. New York State mandates that automobile owners get their vehicle inspected once every year, at a rate of about $37. Inspection should give you an idea of how well your car is running and what may need to be fixed.

???Since getting their vehicles inspected is a state requirement, a majority of automobile owners comply with the demand. However, services such as oil changes, waxing and cleaning air filters are not enforced by the law. This makes it more common for drivers to neglect these responsibilities. Russo believes that most car owners fall into two categories.

???"There seems to be two different types of car owners out there," Russo said. "There's the owner who does everything that is supposed to be done to their car when it's supposed to be done and then there's the person who pretty much doesn't do anything to their car."

???One of the more difficult tasks of car ownership is choosing a trustworthy mechanic. Auto centers make their money off of customers whose trust they've earned and whose consistent business they've guaranteed.

???Russo recommends that in order to weed out mechanics trying to scam you, you should bring your car to a service center for something basic such as an oil change. Once there you have to put your trust in your gut and determine whether or not the employees are honest and dependable.

???Though automobile maintenance can be costly, it is an important aspect that comes with the terrain of car ownership. It takes time and experience for car owners to learn the ins and outs of maintenance, but if a student plans on having their car for as long as Feldman has, it is imperative to care for that vehicle as best as possible.