Calling all dancing queens

Bright lights, music reminiscent of bad karaoke and sequined disco costumes weren't enough to save Mamma Mia! from a mediocre performance. Based on songs from the Swedish pop group ABBA, Benny Andersson and Bj?\0xA6rn Ulvaeus' hit musical took the stage at the historical Shea's Performing Arts Center last week with hopes of continuing its decade of success.

???Rose Sezniak,a newcomer to the tour, plays Sophie Sheridan, a vigorous 20 year old ready to take on the world as a married woman. Set in a tranquil hotel on a Greek island, there is just one problem to Sophie's happily ever after -- she doesn't have a father to walk her down the aisle.

???In an effort to discover the missing piece in her life puzzle and ultimately unravel the twisted web of uncertainties, Sophie invites the three men to her wedding that could be her father.

???Her mother Donna Sheridan, played by the talented Susie McMonagle (Les Mis?(c)rables), is unaware of Sophie's scheme, and is thrown back into her messy past. All of this, of course, with the wedding set to begin within 24 hours. Let the chaos unfold.

???Opening with "Honey, Honey," audiences will be captivated by Sezniak's vocals along with the personalities and talent of her best friends, Ali (Monette McKay) and Lisa (Nicole Laurenzi).

???However, minutes into the musical the energy and exuberance needed for such an in-your-face kind of performance quickly diminishes. With this dissolution, the show turns into a countdown until the much-needed intermission.

???Sophie's fiancee Sky, played by Geoffrey Hemingway, will have viewers questioning the competence and hearing of casting directors. The sound quality of the actor's voice is certainly less than stellar, straining to hit each note of "Lay All Your Love On Me."

???Although Hemingway's bulky biceps are shown off in a tight fitting, neon purple wetsuit, his well-sculpted arms won't be enough to enliven fans of the original musical.

???A gleam of light in the musical shines through Kittra Wynn Coomer's performance as the independent Rosie, and Rachel Tyler's role as multi-divorcee Tanya. Not only are Coomer and Tyler's voices pleasing to the ears, but their acting outshines fellow cast members as well.

???In an effort to cheer up Donna, Rosie and Tanya perform the comedic number "Chiquitita," which features the women doing everything from dragging luggage behind as a horse and smacking their nether regions, to passing Donna a bottle of whiskey and drowning her sorrows, sure to bring the audience to an uproar.

???Bringing women everywhere back to the old days of singing in front of a mirror with their hairbrush and high heels, one of the best numbers of the show is "Dancing Queen," reuniting Donna and the Dynamos. Sheridan, Coomer and Tyler hit the choreography head-on, amusing audiences with their bold voices, while staying completely in character.

???When Harry Bright (Michael Aaron Lindner,) Bill Austin (Martin Kildare) and Sam Carmichael (John Hemphill) greet Donna as the three men from her past, the audience is forced to wait with baited breath to see if all the male actors are (or are not) up to par in this musical.

???Lindner, Kildare and Hemphill do not disappoint.

???Taking the spotlight, Hemphill's role as Sam is one of noteworthy praise. As he sings "S.O.S.," audience members will be entranced by his crisp, clear voice and ability to resonate throughout the auditorium. Hemphill is simply entertaining, dressing as a disco diva, clad in a bright yellow one-piece costume for final number.

???The cast's performance of Mamma Mia! contains adult material and humor, following the nature of a musical comedy. With "Our Last Summer," Harry and Donna relish in the memories of their summer spent blowing smoke together in the '70s while in Europe.

???Although the musical starts off slow, the cast's performance of Mamma Mia! ends better than it begins, encouraging audience members to stand-up, sing, clap and dance one last time at night's end. The cast will make their next performance in Lexington, Ky. on Feb. 27.