Professional basketball stampedes into Buffalo

In January 2009, the City of Good Neighbors will again be home to a professional basketball team.

While the squad won't be called the Buffalo Braves, aren't playing their games at Maple Leaf Gardens or The Aud and most likely will not foster legends such as Moses Malone, Tiny Archibald or Bob McAdoo, owner Vincent Lesh hopes that the Buffalo Stampede will bring the spirit of pro hoops back to the Queen City.

The American Basketball Association (ABA) and the Premiere Basketball League (PBL) are current rival minor league basketball associations where players just below the NBA level compete to strengthen their skills. The original ABA was founded in 1967 and eventually merged with the NBA in 1976. The two leagues have no affiliation with each other.

In 1999, the new ABA was established, but less than a decade after being founded, dissatisfied affiliates wanted to create a more smoothly run organization. The PBL was then formed in 2007 by eight teams, including the Rochester Razor Sharks (ABA Champions, 2005-2006).

The ABA and PBL were each designed to bring communities closer to one of the world's favorite sports. Ticket prices are affordable for families and the games are fast-paced and interactive.

Lesh was an entertainment promoter in Western New York who got interested in owning a professional basketball team in his hometown.

"I thought it would be great for Buffalo to have a chance to get pro basketball back," he said.

He bought the Buffalo Silverbacks, an ABA franchise, and decided to change their name and league.

"We were preparing to play in the ABA as the Buffalo Sharks this coming season," Lesh said. "Then we got a phone call from the PBL which was also planning on starting a franchise in Buffalo. From there, we were able to disband our ABA franchise and move into the PBL."

To avoid confusion with the Rochester Razor Sharks, Lesh changed the team's name to the Buffalo Stampede. New Era designed the team's logo and Nike makes their uniforms.

"Our team colors will be orange, black and white, the same as the old Buffalo Braves," Lesh said.

The team's head coach will be Buffalo alumnus and former Bulls coach Richard Jacob. Jacob, also a product of the local community, coached the Buffalo Rapids in the ABA. Along with coaching, he is the head of Sports Management at Medaille College, which Lesh feels will help benefit the business aspect of the organization.

Also on the Stampede's coaching staff is former Syracuse University basketball star Roosevelt Bouie. He'll not only be the team's big man coach, but he'll also be doing the color commentary for the radio broadcasts. Bouie played professionally in Europe for almost 20 years.

"One of the things [Bouie] does is help align these players so they can get a shot at playing in the European Leagues," Lesh said.

This October, the Stampede acquired two players from the PBL Draft at the ESPN Zone in Chicago. Though the draft is a convenient means of filling roster space, many teams look for local talent who can attract fans and create hype.

"If we were able to land 12 local players that we could compete with, I would be ecstatic," Lesh said.

Since the season is a mere 20 games and only spans a few months over the year, the team has set each player up with a job in the community. The Stampede has media-friendly practices two times a week at Park School in Buffalo and each player has a personal trainer to improve their fitness and physique.

"The players that don't make the NBA and don't play in the European Leagues want to be in the Premier [Basketball] League," Lesh said. "This is where they're going to get the most exposure."

The PBL broadcasts games internationally via Internet webcasts in order to expand their market. The league has hopes that someday they will have teams stationed not only in America, but internationally as well.

The Stampede will play their home games on Main Street at Koessler Athletic Center of Canisius College. The newly revamped arena has a maximum capacity of 2,176 and includes the appropriate wiring to televise games. The Stampede's play by play will be broadcast on 1400AM Solid Gold.

Season tickets run anywhere from $50 to $250 and went on sale Dec. 1. The Stampede will start their season at home when they take on the Wilmington Sea Dawgs on Jan. 3, 2009. Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m.