Monday, June 17, 2024

UB Police up the beat with new officers

The University Police Department will welcome two new faces to the force this academic year. Stacy Tuberdyke, 31, and Daniel Behuniak, 40, started in the Erie County Police Training Academy on Aug. 4 and will graduate on Jan. 17.

Tuberdyke and Behuniak were chosen from a group of approximately 15 applicants.

"I think that we had a lot of great candidates, but these two people rose to the top and we feel very fortunate to have them as employees," said Gerald Schoenle, chief of University Police.

Tuberdyke earned a bachelor of arts in communication with a minor in Japanese studies and marketing from UB. She previously worked as an administrative assistant to the captain at the Gowanda Correctional Facility.

Behuniak earned a Bachelor of Arts from SUNY Geneseo and spent time in active duty as a security police officer in the Air Force. His experience, based in Chenango County, includes being a county planner, a caseworker for Social Services, and a corrections officer.

"I am very excited; I can't wait to get out of the academy and start working on campus," Behuniak said. "The department has been more than welcoming to us."

During the five months of training, the two new officers will learn about the penal law, firearms, emergency vehicle operations and defensive tactics. Physical training will also be a component.

After they graduate from the academy, the officers will partake in 10-week on-the-job field training with another officer here at UB.

The new officers were hired to replace Eddie Baran and Rocco Fabbiano, who both recently retired after serving about 25 years on the force.