Scorned red letter

Buffalo native, folk icon and high priestess of The Church Ani Difranco makes her dramatic return to Babeville with Red Letter Year. With a new band and a surfeit of life-changing experiences since her last release of new material in 2006, Difranco fearlessly bellows her case against corporate America, gender expectations and bias, body image, self-destruction, out of control teenagers and the never-ending cruelty of men.

Upon first glance, it's difficult to see exactly what Red Letter Year has to offer to the general listener. By reputation, Difranco has been synonymous with the bargain bin of indistinguishable mid-'90s Lillith Fair songstresses who exchanged their Birkenstocks and falafels for couture and silver-spooned husbandry.

Red Letter Year can easily be considered an apology of sorts - an attempt to reconcile with her original fan base. The album's most charged track in terms of content is "Alla This," which captures vintage DiFranco exclamations of how she won't bow down or seek refuge with the almighty male.

"I won't pray to a male god/ 'cuz that would be insane," sings Difranco. "I will maintain the truth/ I knew naturally as a child/ I won't forfeit my creativity/ to a world that's already laid out for me."

"The Atom," and portions of the later track "Landing Gear" have subtle, yet potent political intent. Difranco's political convictions can only add to her charm.

Change is not always a step in the wrong direction for Difranco. The birth of her daughter has given her a fresh canvas to spread her voice and creative legs in reverie of this exciting, newly penned chapter.

"You're gonna love this world/ if it's the last thing I do/ the whole extravagant joke topped in bittersweet chocolate goo/ for someone who ain't even here yet/ look how much the world loves you," Difranco sings.

The folkstress also expresses her acceptance and contentment of life's petty annoyances in "Smiling Underneath," which plays as a less catchy and upbeat cousin to Faith Hill's "The Lucky One."

Regardless of review or quality, the album is sure to be a success in the Buffalo area merely due to Difranco's residence. However, it is rare that an artist of her reputation, experience and caliber can continue to issue quality work on such a rolling basis. With Red Letter Year, fans should expect the quality to continue.