Monday, June 17, 2024

How to stop violence: Don't start it

Professor's book examines peaceful tribe

A retired UB professor has possibly found the most peaceful place on Earth, in the tropical mountains of Malaysia where a small tribal society called the Semai reside.

Robert Dentan, a former professor in the Department of Anthropology who is famous for holding his office hours at a hole-in-the-wall eatery near South Campus and spent eight years living with the Semai people in Southeast Asia, is releasing his third book in November.

Overwhelming Terror: Love, Fear, Peace, and Violence among the Semai of Malaysia exemplifies the tribe's nonviolent approach to life and lack of authority or legal system.

"They are the most peaceable people for whom there is adequate documentation," Dentan said.

According to Dentan, the Semai choose to settle disputes through discussion rather than fight over them or determine guilt or innocence. The only punishment is in the form of embarrassment in the village, which they view as exceptionally serious.

The book discusses why Dentan believes they came to be the most peaceful people on earth and how they adapted to the cruel circumstances of slavery. Dentan sees an essential lesson to be learned from the tribe is that little in this world is worth risking a life over.

"There is no one so poor, ignorant, perverted, stupid, young or old that you can't learn something from if you pay attention and treat them with respect," Dentan said.

When asked how he hopes his book will influence readers, Dentan replied that he "hopes to teach that you can deal with terror in creative ways and that violence is simply stupid."

While he believes that the U.S. did have a brief moment of pure peace and unity after the Sept. 11 attacks, Dentan said we "blew it when we went to war."

Dentan's experience in Semai gave him a new perspective on current events in the world. Anything that happens in the U.S., he compares to the Semai, and vice versa, he said. He views everything through the lens of the other society.

Dentan was born in 1936 in New Haven, CT. and graduated from Yale in 1965. He spent a total of 40 years teaching at UB, filling his lectures with stories of distant societies from his travels.

"There's just something really captivating about Dentan when he teaches, you can tell he truly loves what he does and has a passion for culture," said Vijay Agrawal, a senior biomedical science major and former student of Dentan's. "I know a lot of people will agree that he will really be missed, but definitely not forgotten."

Dentan is not only admired by students - he also has the respect of colleagues.

"Professor Dentan is a man of exemplary character and virtue," said Phyllis Hartrich, a UB undergraduate anthropology advisor.

Hartrich said that the majority of the students she has advised who chose to pursue an anthropology degree were inspired to do so from Dentan's introductory course, APY 105.

His only regret in retiring as a professor is that he does not have as many opportunities to speak with undergraduate students.

Anyone who wants to learn more about his latest book, or those just looking to broaden their horizons can still meet with the professor at the same Caribbean restaurant on Main St., Doctor Bird's Rasta-Rant, where he held his office hours after class. Dentan is there Thursdays from 5 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.