Can blues be white?

Two white boys from Akron, Ohio make authentic sounding blues, for the fourth time.

The Black Keys replicated their former success with this month's release of "Magic Potion." They started out in 2001 and have become increasingly notorious for their lo-fi rock.

Dan Auerbach (guitar, vocals) and Patrick Carney (drums) produce an uncluttered sound by keeping things simple. Their music isn't often heard on the radio because the White Stripes beat them there, but both bands have a parallel style.

Unlike the White Stripes, however, the Keys don't sound as eccentric. Songs like "Your Touch" are inclusive. Listeners can follow the chorus and even mouth it out upon exposure.

They slow it down to a waltz in "You're the One," something they've never attempted on earlier albums and the pace just doesn't seem to match. Blues-rock isn't meant to be sentimental, it is supposed to be a self-involved and detached purgation of almost anything.

Luckily they stay focused throughout the rest of the album, and Auerbach cooperatively slips some good old-fashioned "mamas" into "Modern Times." They also reassuringly include that key song about a sneaking woman, "Black Door," cushioned with enough soulful wailing to make your uncle shiver.

It's almost unorthodox to compare the Keys to Jimi Hendrix, but their sound overlaps from time to time. It's like seeing a ghost. The Keys certainly aren't pioneers, but they offer a well-rounded collection of music.

If you're a first time user, start with "The Big Come Up," but if you're already a consumer, "Magic Potion" is a good addition.