Pat Robertson to deliver commencement speech

Simpson announces UB will become a Baptist school

He has been known for stopping hurricanes, supporting assassinations of foreign miscreants, and touching the lives of millions of Americans everyday. These may sound like the deeds of a superhero, but he's more like the mouth of God.

The Office of Special Events announced this past weekend that televangelist Pat Robertson will speak at this year's graduation ceremony on May 14. This is an unexpected first step for school administrators who are considering UB's transformation into a Christian campus.

Robertson is famous for many deeds, most notably for hosting the popular Christian television show "The 700 Club." He also ran for the Republican presidential nomination in 1988, and he founded the Christian Coalition - one of the largest lobbying groups in America.

Mr. Robertson is a patriot, a devout Christian and an advocate for democracy. Provost Satish Tripathi says Robertson is just the person to send the right message to the graduating class.

"We wanted someone who would both appeal to a college audience and teach the young men and women a valuable life lesson," Tripathi said. "We thought Robertson would be perfect."

In what is normally a lackluster ceremony featuring school officials and guest speakers like Senator Charles Schumer, Robertson's appearance is sure to bring a level of excitement to commencement.

President Simpson acknowledges the implications of inviting Robertson to campus and implies that this may be the beginning of the end for a religiously diverse campus.

"UB may one day become a Baptist school," Simpson said. "Step one is to spread the word of God. Step two is to overturn a mandate in the SUNY law code. I think Mr. Robertson is just the person to put the wheels in motion."

Simpson's proposal is a precedent among SUNY schools. Never before has a president actively called for a change of policy in regards to religion.

"I feel that if we're striving to be the best possible school, we ought to practice the best possible religion," Simpson said. "Let's not forget that UB has a Christian base. The first building on South Campus was in a Baptist church."

Robertson has made headlines on several occasions over the past year, calling for the assassination of communist and heathen Hugo Chavez. He has also condemned professors who press a liberal agenda on their students labeling them "racists, murderers, sexual deviants and supporters of Al-Qaeda."

Robertson always stresses the power of prayer to his audiences. He has personally accepted responsibility for stopping Hurricanes Gloria, Felix and Isabel from hitting his native Virginia. Also, in 2005 Robertson led his followers in a 21-day prayer in hopes of creating a Supreme Court vacancy. Former Justice Sandra Day O'Connor soon after retired.

Controversial or not, UB students are generally excited about Robertson's visit.

"I'm really excited. I can't wait to hear him speak," said wild-eyed sophomore and Christian, Rebecca Stevens.

"I pray for all the non-believers everyday," said Josh Lewis, a freshman accounting major and member of a Baptist church. "Everyone should accept Jesus into their lives. I just hope Mr. Robertson can help get this point across to everyone."

Though Robertson's speech is sure to focus on Christian themes, there should be something in it for everyone. Robertson always emphasizes how it's never too late to accept Jesus into our hearts. President Simpson hopes the same for UB.